Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&L zinc Destroyer

Hi Guys,

Here's something I've never encountered before. This "S&L Destroyer" is on e-stand right now.

I've never before seen a zinc S&L Destroyer -- only Tombak -- although one would certainly expect one to exist. The photos aren't so good but it looks just like one would expect on these views.

Perhaps William could provide better photos and closeups for discussion as this is an intriguing badge.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Hello there Norm,

I believe it is a "4" on the pin, but I will take some better shots for your this evening.

William Kramer
    Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Hi William,

could you please take close up images of the hinge and catch ?

I think that Norm may be correct in his view that this is a zinc S&L.
      A close up of the mm on the pin would be of help also.

I would like to be able to compare the reverse hardware with other known S&L zinc awards.

Many thanks,Martin.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the additional images William.

Well,defiantely a "4" mm on the mainpin.

The reverse hardware is very similar to the set up on this S&L HK that i have.

The hinge,pin and catch are much the same.

Although hard to see on my images the toolmark on the mainpin are again very similar to the toolmark on your Desroyer badge.

So,i think hat this could very well be an original zinc S&L Destroyer.

Regards,Martin.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys,

Great hardware comparison Martin.

And yes, that "4" mark is one of the recognized formats of S&L's PK number stamp. See this comparison with a "4" mark on an S&L EK1 - an exact match.

Also the broken off top hook is the same flat wire type seen on the tombak S&L Destroyer and has broken off in a similar manner. As expected, on the zinc version it's soldered to a base plate.

Amazing! Why is this the first one we've seen? S&L's zinc U-boats and Minesweepers far outnumber their Tombak equivalents. Odd that the situation would be reversed in the Destroyer, although it's also possible the the zinc U-boat and Minesweeper numbers are enhanced with post-war assembly and production? Schwerin's tombak U-boats far outnumber their zinc version as well.

Has anyone seen another one of these? William, is there a story behind the badge and where you got it? I notice you're selling it amongst a bunch of other S&L items.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great comparisons and detective work on the missing top hook Norm.

The mm on the mainpin is a definate match to the EK and it looks like they used that flatwire stock for the top hook.

I am also amazed that this zinc Desroyer is the first of it's type that i have seen by S&L.

Gotta love it.

Regards,Martin.
                    Last edited by Martin W; 08-30-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Another question is, why is the zinc version so rough and ugly compared with the Tombak version? But even when you look at a lovely mint Tombak version like Jody's you realize that its beauty is more from the materials and the finish than from the detail of the strike -- in fact even on the Tombak version, with presumably a newer crisper die, the detail of the eagle can't hold a candle to the early Mayer or Schwerin Destroyers.

Cheers.
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files

Comment

I had always thought this was an St&L zinc destroyer, but the hardware is very different.

Bob Hritz
                        Attached Files
                        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                          I had always thought this was an St&L zinc destroyer, but the hardware is very different.

Bob Hritz
                          Hi Bob,

Do you own this one? RichardT posted some small photos of this badge once over on GCA from his files but didn't know who owned it.

It's a rare zinc Meybauer Destroyer. It matches the obverse of the rare tombak Meybauer Destroyer and the same setup is found also on the zinc Meybauer Minesweeper and Coastal Artillery badges.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm

Comment

I agree with Norm,a probable zinc Meybauer.

I have had these images on file for some time.Different photo's but the same badge IMO.

Note the "tear drop" flaw on the bow waves.

Regards,Martin.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I own it. The photos of the badge, on the table, were taken by a member I sold it to, but he posted it here and was told it was fake. I promptly returned his money. Looks like I won!

Bob Hritz
                              In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X