Thoma's Condor Legion Tank Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoma's Condor Legion Tank Badge

I know that there was only one gold Condor Legion Tank badge awarded to Thoma. My question; does anyone know if ther was any more jeweler copies made for displays or ? Niemann has (gold jeweler made) listed, is he refering to the badge awarded to Thoma?

Thanks

von Thomas LCTB

When I visited Helmut Weitze in around 2000, he showed me a couple of "Special" pieces he had which were not on display. One of the pieces was v. Thoma's Gold LCTB. Whether or not it was original I don't know but I do know that it was a fantastic piece and a delight to hold.

Stan

Comment

Gold CLTB

The reason for my question is that I saw a first type in a maroon leather case except it was made of 14K gold and marked 585 on the pin.
      It was excellent quality and detail. Would it be feasible to make (one) unless there are more out there? Has anyone ever seen one like I have described?
      The badge was tested and is pure (not plated) 14K gold and stamped not cast!
      It was compaired to a silver first type and had the same measuremets and details.
      Could it be possible that there were a few made in gold for special awards and then wasn't?

Comment

The world is full of possible. It is also full of crooks. Who knows? Without more information who can say either way?

Comment

I thought von Thoma's badge was ONE, specially made for him in real gold.

Are there any pictures of those gold badges?

Comment

14k gold badge?? That would not be very practical perhaps 10K but 14K is so soft and heavy it would not last very long as a badge for everyday wear??

I also have my suspicion of it being stamped vs cast, it would require a different die and press than the ones used for the other badges which would make it one expensive one off.

Could we be seeing one of those bejeweled high end fake that where created and marketed in 70s by the English couple.

Comment

Why have to use a diferent die i would think the same can be used just as well for gold as brass/tombac

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                ...14k gold badge?? That would not be very practical perhaps 10K but 14K is so soft and heavy it would not last very long as a badge for everyday wear??
                14k is not that soft and would work just fine for the badge and can be stamped on the same die, just need a sheet of gold, there are Russian awards out there that are made of much higher grade of gold than 14k and those have no problem in wear .

Comment

Von Thoma´s golden badge was sold by an auction house some years ago. It´s solid and comes in a case. If it really is the genuine badge presented to him, I don´t know, but the auction house had the uniform, documents, von Thoma´s other awards etc. On his uniform a standard tank badge was attached. I guess he never wore the golden one. Ecxept, perhaps, when dressing up?
                  If of any interest, I could take some photos of the auction catalogue?

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
                    If of any interest, I could take some photos of the auction catalogue?
                    Yes, that would be interesting to see,

....is there nice close-up of the badge?

Comment

Hi Ludwig......

.....I too would be interested in seeing those images of von Thoma's badge.

Comment

I believe this badge is also shown in Forman's last book ("Bravery, Courage & Valour").

Comment

I will try to take some picks of the badge and post them. The fellow was set up at gun show and this walked in and he bought it not knowing if it were real or what but looked really good. I would like to have it original or not just don't know how much I want to invest in it? If it were make by the so called couple or whoever I think they did a great job, did they make only ONE or has anyone seen any of these on ebay or anywhere?

Comment

Here we go. Not the best photos, but please remember, that they are from a catalogue.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X