German use of Rayon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also...

and Hanes has a new batch out (of Rayon) made from eucalyptus tree pulp.
    ...which I can get in a t-shirt... a really nice t-shirt called "Beefy Silver", a good quantity of which I plan to donate to the Association so Seba can do some more tees for you guys and save you some $$. These are the nicest t-shirts ever. Seba, I sent you one some time ago, so you can attest to the shirt's quality.
    -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Rayon; Celleon manufacture

Hi All,

Very interesting thread! It may appear to technical for some, but for me it's extremely useful. I did considerable materials research for a recent book, contacting numerous American and German agencies, associations and individuals in the search for information. I found during my search, that information on the manufacture of celleon was minimal at best - the word was never general usage in the U.S. and does not appear in any daily dictionary - I even checked in a dictionary dating back to 1952 (perhaps it appeared in a textile dictionary, but could not locate one of these). I have also looked in a number of German dictionaries to no avail (though again, it might be in some obscure "Duden" dictionary covering textile manufacturing - also unable to locate one of these). I also visited quite a few textile industry websites which had historical material vocabularies and descriptions: none mentioned celleon. In fact, the only reference to the material that I was able to come across, explained that it was a man-made but natural (not synthetic) fiber, manufactured from "Cellophaned rayon". While this sufficed to fill my informational need at the time. it did not fully satisfy my personal interest. Unfortunately. I am not enough of a technical expert in this field, however, to understand what is meant by the process referred to as "cellophaned". For the book, the principal concern was that it was a natural, if man-made, fiber - but I would still like to understand the process. Anyone out there who can help me with this?

As a side note, a great many dealers still use the terms "artificial silk" and "rayon" in descriptions in such a way that it appears as if these were two distinctly separate materials; obviously the confusion with names that was evidenced in the first years following 1928 is, apparently, still with us. Thanks for any assistance.

Gary Wilkins

Comment

There has been so much bunk over the years about blacklighting (I don't even have one, for that very reason) and the German's use of artificial farbrics that this subject has become almost 'mythical' - if you know what I mean.

As some of you may have noticed, there will soon be a 'Uniforms' section on the 'Front Page.' The first article, on straps & boards, has been sent to Seba and is awaiting his masterful manipulations. Its obvious to me from this thread that there are some of you, Ralph & Keifer in particular, who actually KNOW something about this. It would be a wonderful service and resource if, after you have done your research, you'd collaborate on an article for the 'Uniforms' section. What was used, when, what reacts to UV and why, etc.

Interested?

Comment

Dave:

Yes. I'll report on the info here, as it comes in.

Best,

Ralph
          -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Ralph,

I had in mind an actual researched article posted for all time in the 'Uniforms' section on the first page.

Comment

Dave,
              I am more than happy to assist with this.
              Ralph,if you need assistance in any respect researching or filling gaps if your info chain falters ,please pm me,im sure we can pool resources.

Regards keifer

Comment

Replies

Dave: I know. I Don't know why I phrased it that way. I meant to say I'll report on the progress.

Keifer: I'm counting on your assistance, in a collaborative effort. I'll report on the info I accumulate as it comes in.
                -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

GREAT! I just (almost) finished the Heer strap & board article, and I want others to find out what fun it is to write a 'simple' little piece...

This would be a great area to finally de-bunk.

Comment

Link to more sources on the subject

Very important and interesting information in this topic, thank you all a lot! Pity that it is 17 years ago that this thread was active...

Interesting link to documentation of german synthetic fabric production. American army reports from just after the war.

https://books.google.nl/books?id=p2O...0rayon&f=false

Cheers,

Schwejk.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X