Wallonian volunteer collar tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallonian volunteer collar tab

In the excellent publication 'For Rex and for Belgium', by Marc Rikmenspoel and Eddy de Bruyne, two portrait photos of Wallonian volunteers wearing the Burgundy cross collar tab are included. According to this book, they were officially issued to Rexist refugees in the 28. SS-Freiw.Gren.Div. "Wallonien", late 1944, to replace the runes, but were only worn for a short period. I have never seen one in collections, but they were most certainly issued. Can anyone show me a photo of such a tab? Was it worn in combination with the Burgundy cross arm shield or with the standard Wallonian sleeve shield?

With kind regards,

Cees

I only know of one wallonien collar tab in any collection and that belongs to Bob Hritz. maybe if he sees this, he will post a pic or two. I have lusted over it for years.

Greg

Comment

Thank you for the clarification Greg. Would love to see a photo of the example you mentioned. If I recall it correctly, you have one terrific Burgundy cross arm shield in your collection. Do you know if these were ever worn? These must be as hard to get as the collar tabs.

Cees

Comment

I do not believe these shields were ever worn. At least no pics have ever surfaced showing them being worn. I think the collar tab is rarer in my opinion as I have seen 3 of them where as I have only seen one collar tab. The 3 shields I have seen all have the same, what I call an anomolly in there shape that would indicate that they cam from a bundle. Again, produced but never distributed for wear.

Greg

Comment

Hello Cees,

I have attached a photo fo the Wallonien collar tab. I would like to see the photos of the collar tab in wear.

Bob Hritz
          Attached Files
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
            Hello Cees,

I have attached a photo fo the Wallonien collar tab. I would like to see the photos of the collar tab in wear.

Bob Hritz
            Bob,
            Great patch , I would also like to see pictures of this type of tab being worn as well
            cheers
            Gary

Comment

Hello Bob,

Thank you very much for posting this fabulous tab. Here are some photos of the tab in wear. They are depicted in 'For Rex and for Belgium', a book about the Walloon political and military collaboration. I will quote what Rikmenspoel and De Bruyne write about the Rexist refugees, who wore these tabs:

'During September 1944, Degrelle ordered compulsory enlistment into the 28. SS-Freiw.-Gren.Div.Wallonien of all Rexist refugees aged 16-55 who had fled to Germany in September 1944. Alleged full battle strength of the Walloon unit reached 3,500 to 4,000 men. The reality, however, was different. Only a small number of these 'volunteers' were fit for battle duties.'

The man on the photo below is a 52 years old Rexist refugee, who was enrolled on 8 October, 1944.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Cees Kleijn; 08-21-2005, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Here is a younger Rexist refugee - photo also taken in October 1944. Both photos appear in Soldbücher.
                Attached Files

Comment

Greg, thanks again for your clarification. Would it be possible to see a photo of the Burgundy cross shield, either here or by e-mail? I did a quick search on this forum, but couldn't find it anymore.

Cees

Comment

Hi
                    Here is one.
                    You can see the badge

Regards
                    Werner

Comment

Hello Werner,

Thank you for your contribution. I would love to see some close-ups of the items you posted. Can you show us the inside of the Soldbuch? I have never seen that one before.

With kind regards,

Cees

Comment

Originally posted by Cees Kleijn
                        Hello Werner,

Thank you for your contribution. I would love to see some close-ups of the items you posted. Can you show us the inside of the Soldbuch? I have never seen that one before.

With kind regards,

Cees
                        Yes,

Here are some pics

Comment

Last edited by werner; 08-08-2007, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the big size but when i try to reduce, the quality is really poor !!!!

Last edited by werner; 08-08-2007, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X