X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinion minesweeper badge?

Hey guys,

I would like your expertise about this Minesweeper badge
    could you give comment why this is a fake/original piece?
    I hasn't got a maker mark. But from a little research this shouldn't be a problem
    If you know the maker it would be appreciated

Thanks!!

here are some pics:

Hi Dougie,

That is the tombak version of the "unmarked AS in triangle". It's a nice salty example which has had the pin filed straight to better fit in the tunic loops, and the catch has been replaced. You can see here what the unaltered hardware would look like.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

It have some "been there" finish

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post
        It have some "been there" finish

Andy
        Andy, that's what I liked about it too I'm in loooooveehh
        Originally posted by Norm F View Post
        Hi Dougie,

That is the tombak version of the "unmarked AS in triangle". It's a nice salty example which has had the pin filed straight to better fit in the tunic loops, and the catch has been replaced. You can see here what the unaltered hardware would look like.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        hey Norm,
        thanks for the comment
        can you explain what you mean by the "unmarked AS in triangle"?
        and the catch, is it war-time done, or after the war (fake)?

greets!

Comment

Hi Dougie,

There is an unmarked zinc minesweeper badge that is identical to the marked "AS in triangle" Gablonz-made zinc badges, except that the eagle was re-designed. Although it remains a possibility that the marked and unmarked zinc badges are by different makers given the different eagles, they share other die characteristics and finishing, etc. which also makes it's likely they are by the same maker.

At any rate, the unmarked badges are usually referred to as the "unmarked AS in triangle". These badges have a crimped in ball hinge with needle pin and crimped flattened round wire catch.

Despite the different hardware, the early tombak badges like the one you posted share identical die characteristics with the "unmarked AS in triangle" badges and therefore are likely by the same maker. The zinc versions however have a progressive die flaw giving the eagle "armpits" which become quite ugly as time goes on, which to me suggests the reason for re-designing the eagle.

I'm sure your pin modification was wartime, and the catch replacement probably was too but I can't say for sure -- it would help to have close-up views.

Best regards,
          ---Norm
          Last edited by Norm F; 06-18-2010, 08:24 AM.

Comment

hey Norm,
            thank you!
            unfortunately I can't get more pics because it's not in my possesion.
            I want to be sure before I buy it

cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
              hey Norm,
              thank you!
              unfortunately I can't get more pics because it's not in my possesion.
              I want to be sure before I buy it

cheers!
              Well, it looks like the patina on the replacement round wire catch matches the filed down pin so it's probably wartime. The badge is undoubtably original and it has a lot of character. A lot of collectors like pristine examples so pieces like this are often available cheaper; this makes for a good deal, in my opinion, for a badge that's definitely been there.

Cheers.
              ---Norm

Comment

Well, it looks like the patina on the replacement round wire catch matches the filed down pin so it's probably wartime. The badge is undoubtably original and it has a lot of character. A lot of collectors like pristine examples so pieces like this are often available cheaper; this makes for a good deal, in my opinion, for a badge that's definitely been there.

Cheers.
                ---Norm
                I like the ''been there'' look too ^^
                indeed, it's less expensive then a mint one.

Comment

Hi Dougie,

...I'm sure your pin modification was wartime, and the catch replacement probably was too but I can't say for sure -- it would help to have close-up views.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Hey norm, I have it in my possesion.
                  made some better pictures
                  just click the link:
                  Minesweeper Badge, my new addition

Best regards, Dougie.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X