SS Liederbuch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Liederbuch

This may be a silly question, but is Ich Hatt ein Kameraden in the SS Liederbuch?

yES.

Comment

it ("I had a comrade" song) being there is showing the roots of the SS. Namely the SA. The cult of the fallen comrade started very early in the Nazi movement. In a sense, part of the common traditions as opposed to the more exclusive traditions that evolved as the SS became separate and powerful.

Comment

Hi,

the song is available on the first three editions (SS-RuSHA) at the page 164 (presentation's drawing on page 163).

1. Auflage is different from 2. and 3. Auflage (which are identical).

Editions / Auflage identified :

1. Auflage Rasse Und Siedlungshauptamt SS
        2. Auflage Rasse Und Siedlungshauptamt SS
        3. Auflage Rasse Und Siedlungshauptamt SS
        4. Auflage Rasse Und Siedlungshauptamt SS
        5. Auflage Reichsführung SS (neubearbeitet Auflage, Kriegsausgabe)
        6. Auflage Reichsführung SS (neubearbeitet Auflage, Kriegsausgabe)
        7. Auflage Reichsführung SS
        8. Auflage ???
        9. Auflage Reichsführung SS

See You

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
          it ("I had a comrade" song) being there is showing the roots of the SS. Namely the SA. The cult of the fallen comrade started very early in the Nazi movement. In a sense, part of the common traditions as opposed to the more exclusive traditions that evolved as the SS became separate and powerful.
          I am not exactly sure what you trying to say here.

In short:
          The poem:"Der gute kamerad" was written by Johann Ludwig Uhland in 1809 and set to music in 1825 by Dr. P. F. Silcher using the melody
          of the folk song:"Ein schwarzbraunes Mädchen hat ein'n Feldjäger lieb".
          In 1827, the song has become an official folk song itself and titled after the first line of the poem:
          "Ich hatt'' einen Kameraden" but often the song is still referred as:"Der gute Kamerad".

Comment

Hello IHEK,
            see your point-and I imagine you are a connoisseur of this specific work .

But in my opinion this song/ poem/ lyrics, like so much other cultural historical and artistic things was "re-purposed" to mean something partially different in the third Reich-while still proudly retaining ties to previous era's comrades (for Nazi's comrades in Kampf/struggle)it also is a slogan that was utilized when showing images of a fallen comrade / grave marker etc during Third Reich.

Put another way: this poem would continue to mean to some the original meanings and to others would now have new /modified meanings whose significance would be understood by those who had "the eyes to see it: or should I say the Volksgenossen."

As I was always led to understand the "Hatt" implies past tense form: easily implying a fallen comrade in that understanding of it-at least to me. Perhaps the emphasis on "Hatt" in the SS Liederbuch is on purpose and exemplifies my argument.

So there is a codified usage with Altkampfers who were by default funneled into SA first. From there into SS.

(My umlauts are not working right now)

Comment

Sorry if this is too simple. I feel if the general idea was that it was re-imagined for the Nazis it wouldn't be used today. I think it is just simply German camaraderie. Which was heavily pushed by the government in those days, but it should in every military. "Strength in Unity." I don't agree with the Hitler's government, but I don't think the idea of that should be taken negatively in any society. Just my opinion.

Comment

Here some more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_hatt'_einen_Kameraden

Ich hatt' einen Kameraden

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

War memorial fountain in Speyer
                "Der gute Kamerad" ("The good Comrade"), also known as "I had a comrade", is a traditional lament of the German Armed Forces. The text was written by the German poet Ludwig Uhland in 1809. In 1825, the composer Friedrich Silcher set it to music.

"The Good Comrade" plays an important ceremonial role in the German Armed Forces and is an integral part of a military funeral. The song has also become traditional in obsequies of the Military of Austria, the Austrian firebrigades and the highly prussianized Chilean Army. It is also used to some degree in the French Army, particularly in the Foreign Legion. When the song is played, soldiers are to salute, an honour otherwise reserved for national anthems only.

Occasionally the song is played at civil ceremonies, most often when the deceased had been affiliated with the military. It is also commonly sung at the funerals of members of a Studentenverbindung. Finally, the song is often played on Volkstrauertag, the German Remembrance Day, at memorials for the fallen.

German playwright Carl Zuckmayer in 1966 used the song's line "Als wär's ein Stück von mir" as the title for his hugely successful autobiography (English title: "A Part of Myself").

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
                  Hello IHEK,
                  see your point-and I imagine you are a connoisseur of this specific work .

But in my opinion this song/ poem/ lyrics, like so much other cultural historical and artistic things was "re-purposed" to mean something partially different in the third Reich-while still proudly retaining ties to previous era's comrades (for Nazi's comrades in Kampf/struggle)it also is a slogan that was utilized when showing images of a fallen comrade / grave marker etc during Third Reich.

Put another way: this poem would continue to mean to some the original meanings and to others would now have new /modified meanings whose significance would be understood by those who had "the eyes to see it: or should I say the Volksgenossen."

As I was always led to understand the "Hatt" implies past tense form: easily implying a fallen comrade in that understanding of it-at least to me. Perhaps the emphasis on "Hatt" in the SS Liederbuch is on purpose and exemplifies my argument.

So there is a codified usage with Altkampfers who were by default funneled into SA first. From there into SS.

(My umlauts are not working right now)
                  I collect everything related to this song, my collection consists of many hundreds of postcards, books, medals, pins and much, much more. This poem is very dear to me and has become part of my life.

Although i now understand what you are saying i am of the belief that this song was used as nothing other than an elegy or when writing on a grave marker or photo, a sign of mourning, respect, melancholy, compassion.

However in the text of the poem there is also a struggle between the fact that they are in battle and when one is hit the other is put to the choice of fighting back or helping his fellow man who is injured.
                  This can be interpreted slightly different and put in context in the lines of what you described with the 16 fallen brothers of the Putch in Münnich for example.
                  I think this is far fetched but there a cases of the song being slightly adapted(usage and pictorial) during the Drittes Reich, this is of course natural with time that has past since it was writing by Uhland in his era(almost 150 years earlier).

Here is a postcard, sadly not yet in my collection, with SA-men with the first line of the poem on the bottom:

Note the oak.

Comment

Originally posted by IchHattEinenKameraden View Post
                    I collect everything related to this song, my collection consists of many hundreds of postcards, books, medals, pins and much, much more. This poem is very dear to me and has become part of my life.

Although i now understand what you are saying i am of the belief that this song was used as nothing other than an elegy or when writing on a grave marker or photo, a sign of mourning, respect, melancholy, compassion.

However in the text of the poem there is also a struggle between the fact that they are in battle and when one is hit the other is put to the choice of fighting back or helping his fellow man who is injured.
                    This can be interpreted slightly different and put in context in the lines of what you described with the 16 fallen brothers of the Putch in Münnich for example.
                    I think this is far fetched but there a cases of the song being slightly adapted(usage and pictorial) during the Drittes Reich, this is of course natural with time that has past since it was writing by Uhland in his era(almost 150 years earlier).

Here is a postcard, sadly not yet in my collection, with SA-men with the first line of the poem on the bottom:

Note the oak.
                    Hello IHK,
                    I appreciate the intensely serious and open frankness of your argument and opinion.
                    We are in disagreement on certain points. A gentlemanly disagreement I believe.
                    I know you realize that the awesome image you posted is in my opinion a ringing endorsement for MY argument.
                    So double thanks for sharing it with that in mind by you.

I also appreciate the investment in time for research as a collector into this specific song which ,as you describe, is a long time cultural artifact for Germany.

PS the oak is also re-utilized by the Nazis and the SS has its own tracts on the significance of such trees.

Comment

Originally posted by MG-42 View Post
                      Sorry if this is too simple. I feel if the general idea was that it was re-imagined for the Nazis it wouldn't be used today. I think it is just simply German camaraderie. Which was heavily pushed by the government in those days, but it should in every military. "Strength in Unity." I don't agree with the Hitler's government, but I don't think the idea of that should be taken negatively in any society. Just my opinion.
                      Hello MG...,
                      thanks for your thoughts
                      But if your idea of if "it was re-imagined for the Nazis it wouldn't be used today," were applied whole-sale to cultural landmarks in thought/art/etc, then Germany would not allow:

Wagner concerts
                      Nietzsche philosophy books published
                      prints by Durer to be available, much less lauded in Museums.

This idea of yours is applicable to such things as the Swastika symbol, and for many years the actual study of Volkskunden history of old German folk tales etc was heavily stifled.
                      I think any German academic study of the runes was looked down upon until very recently.
                      -MF

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X