Did the SS wear splinter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the SS wear splinter?

if this is in the wrong forum please forgive me, Did the SS wear splinter camo uniforms? I've been devouring the internet and can't find too much to go on.

Very rarely and on a personal level, not unit level...like Skorzeny!
    There is a photo out there with an SS soldier with a Heer splinter helmet cover too... OK just found it!
    Again very exceptional to see...the other way much more common imo...Heer with SS camo

Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 07-30-2015, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by george s. romme View Post
      if this is in the wrong forum please forgive me, Did the SS wear splinter camo uniforms? I've been devouring the internet and can't find too much to go on.
      IMHO only the SS fallschirmjäger from SS fallschirmjäger bataillon 500 and 600 are by regulation the sole to wear splinter camo uniforms with their splinter camo para smock !

Comment

sincerely not so rare... of course not common at all but i saw a lot of pics but with secondary stuffs like covers and zelths

Comment

OK but certainly less rare than the other way around! Heer in SS camo!
          Pages full of examples for sure!

I read somewhere that millions and millions of German military photos, and/or negatives (especially from late war period) were kept in Berlin or some place and evacuated in trucks which never reached their new (safer) destination and the entire KB archive was lost for ever...I think early and mid war years were better documented (also because soldiers were taking their own snap shots early on and later as the war dragged on, no longer a new experience, less willingness to document things...(just getting fed up) so they were less inclined to take pictures...also diminishing the volume of what's available, and a lot of late war photographic records were lost for ever...fire bombed...
          So less to view to see what the practices were (in the more chaotic period 44-45, where such practices were possibly more common...mixing things up)
          Of course eventually Leibermuster ("einheitztarn") was intended as a "generic camo" for all the armed forces, (Heer/SS/LW ground) in that period but very few photos survived...
          so we assume limited issuance... but probably of the pictures that did exist, many were lost because of all the destruction...

Here's another example: a custom camo splinter overcoat (trench coat/rain coat) worn by an SS officer...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 07-30-2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
            Here's another example: a custom camo splinter overcoat (trench coat/rain coat) worn by an SS officer...
            Not by SS but Army ( Heer ) officer ( the army officer collar patches and army crusher is quite well visible on this photo ).

Also the first photo is NOT showing army splitter hlemet cover but field camo cover made from italian telo mimetico camuflage cloth .

And the third photo is showing army ( Heer ) soldier ( look at M43 cap ) wearing army splittern pattern zeltbahn.

Seen quite much photos of WSS soldiers wearing army helmets ( with army decals ), field made splittern pattern jackets/overalls so nothing uncommon in field practice ( like wearing WSS camo by Army/LW soliders ).

Comment

Originally posted by anmarlodz View Post
              Not by SS but Army ( Heer ) officer ( the army officer collar patches and army crusher is quite well visible on this photo ).

Also the first photo is NOT showing army splitter hlemet cover but field camo cover made from italian telo mimetico camuflage cloth .

And the third photo is showing army ( Heer ) soldier ( look at M43 cap ) wearing army splittern pattern zeltbahn.

Seen quite much photos of WSS soldiers wearing army helmets ( with army decals ), field made splittern pattern jackets/overalls so nothing uncommon in field practice ( like wearing WSS camo by Army/LW soliders ).
              I agree on the helmet cover...possibly Italian camo! YES!
              Other two are 100% SS men, somebody might be able to ID this RK trager SS officer, (SS-Standartenfuhrer or SS-oberfuhrer), name?
              the other guy is a Dirlewanger POW with M43 SS cap trap.Note skull!
              Both 100% SS examples. (with Heer splinter items) SS crusher with skull visible...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NickG; 07-30-2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Splinter pattern Zelts were official issue among VT/TV units prior to the introduction of the ss' own camo zelts. Such zelts, however are VERY rare if authentic.

As mentioned here before, FJ items were the other fraction that was officially issued.

Cheers

Comment

One more fieldmade / private purchase jacket , note zipper ..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hundestaffel View Post
                      IMO not splinter camo but more overall made in Italian Camo

look at the rounded waves on the wrist of this soldier !

attachment.jpg

Comment

Yeah I am leaning towards Italian camo as well, which was commonly used (LAH & HJ). These are HJ members training in Belgium I understand!

Here's another example...helmet cover...Splinter? or ?
                        Note another image of the trench coat made in splinter (very bottom!) of the same SS Knights cross holder with crusher cap!!

Attached Files
                        Last edited by NickG; 08-02-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Waffen-Standartenführer der ϟϟ Voldemārs Veiss ...

Comment

The splinter overcoat has been one of my favorites for years

Owen

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                              Yeah I am leaning towards Italian camo as well, which was commonly used (LAH & HJ). These are HJ members training in Belgium I understand!

Here's another example...helmet cover...Splinter? or ?
                              Note another image of the trench coat made in splinter (very bottom!) of the same SS Knights cross holder with crusher cap!!

First photo is definately showing spliter helmet cover in use by WSS.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X