No announcement yet.

Latest Marine tallies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Justin This is before it goes behind the glass and the frame. It's impossible to photo after that.

Comment

A couple more just came in thanks to a German friend that I believe JustinG knows as well

Super tallies for sure, couldn't be more happy oh yeah
      Attached Files
      Last edited by nachtundnebel; 05-29-2010, 07:02 PM. Reason: Speeling :D

Comment

and reverse
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Frank,

Very interesting. What's the story behind that unusual Panzerschiff Admiral Scheer tally in the small font? Can you post close-up scans of that one?

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Must admit I'm not sure, Norm. I believe it's a sweetheart or kinder tally but can't say for sure. I trust the seller so I don't believe it's a bogus but I've written him now and then we'll see.

I've tried to photo the tally if that's okay. Not so good friend with the scanner.
            Attached Files

Comment

It is a very rare small letter gothic style script used for a couple years before the large letters were introduced.

Off the top of my head, this was around 1929-1932. Not sure. Sailors did not like it, so it was replaced. This was a transitional tally from Latin to large letter Gothic script.

It could be a children's tally I guess, so what is the length?

John
              Attached Files

Comment

Based on this comparison, I think it is the small letter version, again need length of the tally.

The children's tally version of Scheer does not usually look like this, often seen with Latin Script and little flags around the name.

Also if width same as standard KM tally, probably not for a child's cap or patriotic tally.

John
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

But the Panzerschiff Admiral Scheer was only commissioned on Nov 12,1934. Wouldn't that be a bit late for the timeline you're suggesting for these small font versions?

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                    Hi John,

But the Panzerschiff Admiral Scheer was only commissioned on Nov 12,1934. Wouldn't that be a bit late for the timeline you're suggesting for these small font versions?

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Could be Norm, but I am not exactly when the cutoff was on these in regards to manufacture.

I am just saying that before we say it is not a RM/KM tally, lets get some more statistics on it.

I also will send the images to Markus and Bernd who will probably have the answer.

John

Comment

Bernd Wedeking feels that the tally is a patriotic tally or a children's' tally, not an officially issued tally to the crew of Scheer. One other highly experience German collector independently came to the same conclusion

John

Comment

Very interesting, John. Thanks for that update.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

Hi guys,

Further fantastic additions and interesting information...

I have been busy myself behind the scenes and will have pics of my additions in the near future.

Frank love the school tallies mate, very nice and interesting. Have a few myself but your collection is certianly getting there with examples I have never seen before. Between all of us we have the entire collection

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys and for checking with Germany, John On holiday myself + bad internet so a little late.

Contacted the seller but never got a clear reply back and didn't push the matter further. From memory it's a full length tally but a tad more narrow than the issue tallies.

My own feeling was kinder tally, which seems to be confirmed and that's ok. Don't see too many of these so fine with me.

@ JustinC, looking forward to see your additions so please post some pics.

Comment

oh and btw I'm up at 4 displays like the one in post #13. Will try to post them all when back home.

The latest tally is a printed Prinz Eugen. Should be in the mail by now but haven't seen it in hand yet. MarineHJ aka Dani mentions a printed one so took a chance and got it cheap so let's see. A new necktie perhaps....

Comment

Originally posted by nachtundnebel View Post
                                The latest tally is a printed Prinz Eugen. Should be in the mail by now but haven't seen it in hand yet. MarineHJ aka Dani mentions a printed one so took a chance and got it cheap so let's see. A new necktie perhaps....
                                Sounds interesting...! Looking forward to it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X