id sword please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

id sword please

can anyone id the branch of service for this sword?
    thank you rhj
    Attached Files

That looks like a WKC lionhead.

Several companies offered a silver colored hilt in addition to the standard lacquered polished brass or gilt models. There is quite a bit of current speculation with photographic evidence to support that premise that these silver hilted models were used by the SS early on. Whether all of the silver hilts were indeed used by the SS is not known.

Either way this sword looks great.

Tony
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

It looks like brass underneath the silver. Be sure this was not applied post-war. Does it look like base metal underneath? Some have enhanced lionheads with silver coloring and have added SS runes to the front langet for the purpose Tiger mentioned above.
      Last edited by SwordFish; 02-26-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

"brass" appearance is lighting. Hilt appears to be aluminum as suggested "alum" in most current question about this sword.
        Thanks
        Bob

Comment

Bob, With this image I see a more silver colored appearance, with a small area of the mane which seems to have a dark gray(?) appearance. So is it tarnished silver, or a base metal that has been exposed to the atmosphere? Or the lighting? If “in hand” it’s not readily visible, if I have time a little later today I can post a picture of where to look. Being one of the areas that would be getting a closer look with a personal inspection. Along with the Caveat that looking at something long distance can be problematic, and only as good as the imaging that has been presented. Regards, FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X