Do you know what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know what this is?

I will post this over on the right forum later, but since the KM collectors all come here, lets see if any know what this is. I bought it at SOS and I am sure people were wondering what the heck I was carrying around.

Well, I liked it.

Jeff and Rob Hudspith know the answer, so lets see if anyone else knows.

This article is documented in German Navy in WWII by Showell, so that is a hint.

It is around the size of a shoebox to give you an idea of measurements.

John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John R.; 03-09-2007, 10:06 AM. Reason: ---

Case for the enigma encoding machine?

Comment

Nope. However, this would be found on nearly every KM ship.

Comment

Shoe shine sir?
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I don´t think that it was from enigma code machine, perhaps,I think that it belongs to a KM sextant or a KM binoculars.Can you show the interior?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
            Shoe shine sir?
            Simon, I should have excluded you also

Yes indeed, it is a humble shoeshine kit that was issued to every sailor. The box looks like it was used for valuables, in some cases maybe they did, but officially a line was passed through the metal hole and thus attached to a seabag. It was not intended to be locked. In fact, I am not sure if KM sailors could lock anything as there is nothing lower to a sailor than a shipmate who is a thief.

This box came from a sailor in Prinz Eugen. The name is engraved on the metal frontplate.

The box is described within a photo on pages 142 and 143 of Showell's book. The box had a number of minor variations depending on where the box was made, some were of mahogany. Basically, they all looked like this.

Well, I thought I would be able to run this thread a bit, but there is no fooling WAF members. Even on a shoeshine box--sooner or later it the item is identified!!!

John

Comment

Comment

I think it's too small for a sextant case.John does it have a sliding lid?

Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Westley View Post
                  I think it's too small for a sextant case.John does it have a sliding lid?

Martin.
                  Yes, the top of the box including the metal hook slides backwards horizontally and you can remove it completely from the rest of the box.

John

Comment

Shoe shine box

Hi John,
                    I got on this thread late, but I actually knew what it was. I actually saw one of these for sale many years ago by a friend of Jack Angolia's-Gayle Dinsmore.

Your box looks to be in super condition. I like the oddball itmes like this.

Cool item!

Regards,
                    Jody

Comment

Yes, very cool item! Made even better as it was from Prinz Eugen. best wishes,
                      jeff
                      Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Hi John,

You've seen this before but for the interest of others here is its "brother" from the Graf Spee.
                        Attached Files
                        Regards, Rob
                        Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Yes, Rob has the nice one and from Graf Spee!!! He did not mention that my shoebox came from a Prinz Eugen grouping at SOS which had a very rare muetzenband (cap tally) and document which Rob purchased.

Rob already had one of these boxes so I went ahead and bought it from the seller who really did not even have it up for sale and was using it for storage since he liked the design.

Since Rob bought the grouping, the dealer agreed to sell the box to me.

John
                          Last edited by John R.; 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Need to look out for those Marine SS fakes though!!!!!!
                            Regards, Rob
                            Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Nice box! Odd item! I like that!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X