HJ knife. Fake or authentic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ knife. Fake or authentic

I purchased this HJ knife 12 years ago. It seems to be produced by the Pumawerk. When I bought it I was 100% shure that it was a authentick HJ knife. But know I have my doubts. Please look at the photos here and give me your opinion...

Last edited by tikka69; 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM.

Hi

Hello tikka69, Welcome to the forum. Your HJ looks fine.

Comment

Originally posted by petopoint View Post
      Hello tikka69, Welcome to the forum. Your HJ looks fine.
      Thank you very much. Do you think it is a authentic HJ?

Comment

Hi Tikka69 and welcome among us. Your HJ Field Knife looks to be in fine condition. It appears to be an early piece, which should have the HJ motto -- Blut und Ehre -- etched onto the obverse (right hand) side of the blade. Some of these etched mottos were fairly faint, even when new; can you see any remainder of the motto on your blade? It is important.

Thanks, and again, welcome!

Br. James

Comment

sorry

Sorry if I wasn't clear on originality but I meant fine as in it's an original.

Comment

That is not an original HJ knife: diamond, fingerguard, shape of the blade, grip plates, scabbard,... are not original!

Best regards,

Victorman

Comment

[QUOTE=Br. James;5584489]Hi Tikka69 and welcome among us. Your HJ Field Knife looks to be in fine condition. It appears to be an early piece, which should have the HJ motto -- Blut und Ehre -- etched onto the obverse (right hand) side of the blade. Some of these etched mottos were fairly faint, even when new; can you see any remainder of the motto on your blade? It is important.

Thanks, and again, welcome!

Br. James[/QUOTE

Thank you very much Br James.

I can actualy see the top of the E in ehre. But it is a very faint E. When I study the blade extremly cloose it seems that there can have been the hj motto there. But as I said it is Exstremly faint....What do you think about the puma print on the blade?

Comment

Originally posted by tikka69 View Post
                .........What do you think about the puma print on the blade?
                Regrettably, to me it looks like it is "tarted up" with a highly polished blade (or possibly chrome plating?). And a badly painted scabbard, in addition to the other adverse comments, thinking that the "Puma" marking could also be a problem. Is there a possibility for a better high resolution image of the TM? FP
                Last edited by Frogprince; 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM. Reason: minor changes

Comment

tikka69,

Does it have the RZM number stamped on the ricasso under that buffer washer ?

i really dont like the looks of this Puma hj knife,

Regards Mac 66.

Comment

Thanks for closely checking the blade for the possible presence of the motto. HJ Field Knives were perhaps the most extensively-used...and often misused, from a collector's point of view...of all German edged weapons. Whereas most any dagger presented with a blade that had been sharpened, sometimes repeatedly, would be judged as extremely poor and of little value, HJ Field Knives were used like Boy Scout knives have always been, and they required regular sharpening. They were used for every manner of thing imaginable, and they took quite a beating in the process! The blade on your knife does appear to have been extensively polished, and perhaps during repeated polishing, the motto has been mostly eradicated. As I said initially, the etching of these mottos was often superficial as compared with the sharply detailed and defined motto on an SA, SS or an RAD dagger.

Others among us have raised a number of other questions about your knife, such as the blade shape, the crossguard, the buffer pad, the maker's logo, etc., and these are certainly all valid areas of concern. I hope to see more information coming out of this thread in the future!

Br. James

Comment

I don't like the quillion and the shape of the blade plus its ricasso. I agree with Victorman that this is a fake.

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
                      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Here are a couple of original Puma blades to compare with.

Best regards,

Victorman
                        Attached Files

Comment

Puma insignia

The PUMA insignia does not look like the originals. If You look at the shoulder of the dog on the originals there is a solid line.

Comment

Puma Insaignia

Sorry meant to say Cat

Comment

That is what was a “problem” with the TM. It’s missing what would be a portion of the (rear) neck area as seen in the originally posted 2 closeup images. Also not having a darker interior to the TM marking. Which is lacking in the very first image which seems to reflect a fair amount of light. With that and in the first three images posted the overall comparative reflectivity between the blade and the handle parts being what seems to suggest that the knife may have been electroplated as a single unit before being assembled. (Which may or may not be what happened - needing some followup images to verify what seems to be in the first ones). FP
                              Last edited by Frogprince; 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM. Reason: minor correction

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X