Coastal Artillery Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal Artillery Badge

So here we have a vaulted Coastal Artillery Bagde, no makermark.

Does anyone know if this badge can be attributed to any maker? And is it a original?

This badge is not my area of expertice, so any input is appricated.

I personally think this one has a chance, looking at the detail and quality, but you never know, the fakers get better everyday.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Peppe personally not sure on this one metal looks wrong as does the colouration of the reverse. Any chance of a closer look at the eagle. There is a really high end fake going around with a large stick out eye. I think it was once referred to as Popeye and this maybe it.Closer straight on pics of the eagle would help. Have come across it once before and got to handle it and it was well made. Have to say the Rim of the wreath looks ok thou so it maybe just the angle of the shot. Lets see what others make of it. All the best

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am aware that this is very similiar to a high end repro that a reenactment dealer in the UK sells, I have compared it to that one, but it is not a match, but this might be another high end fake?

In any case, here is a close up on the head and the eye, maybe it will shed some light on the Popeye-matter.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is a pic I found, on the high end fake, this is for sure a bad one, but I have compared it with the one I posted, and I haven´t gotten a 100 % match.
              Attached Files

Comment

here is the badges side to side, look at the difference in detail etc.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Peppe,

When I first saw this one I did not like it. Personally I think it's a slightly improved version of the one you show immediately above (and that's in the fake gallery in posts 3 & 4).

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hi peppe thanks for the extra pics have to say thou my opinion is still the same, the reverse looks strange, the wear looks chemically achieved, and it is a close enough match to raise concerns. Especially around the eagles head. Like Mike has said maybe slightly improved. The colour of the stratch marks too the reverse is not what I would expect. Just my opinion. All the best

Comment

I have to agree with Mike and mrg on this badge. The base metal is not tombak-bronze nor is it zinc. It looks to be made of a modern, white metal alloy. I don't like the look of the pin, hinge, or catch. The reverse has that same strange, chemically-applied finish and rainbow-tinted appearance that is so characteristic of many of those S.H.u.Co and unmarked Coastal Artillery fakes, the f.o. Destroyer Badge fakes, and the R.S.& S. High Seas Fleet fakes. (All of which I believe were the work of the same forger.) I also believe that it is a further refinement of the S.H.u.Co. Coastal Artillery fake.

Best regards,
                      Tom
                      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

Mike: I hear you, have been thinking the same thing, this might be an improved fake from the other one.

Comment

It's a Staegemeir fake. I posted one of these back around 2004 with detailed PICS after getting it from Jamie Cross. Search and the thread may still be here, but the eye is the main detail on this fake.
                          Tim

Comment

Well, I didn't find the original thread, but here's another that applies:

coastal artillery badge - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Tim

Comment

Don´t ask me for details, but NO. Not original. Just doesn´t feel right to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X