Maker Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maker Question

I got hold of a catalog and would like to know whether this PAB can be identified. The maker does not show up in the literature and has therefore not been identified as of today.
    It is always very nice when real hard and deep research work might lead to something.... hopefully!
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Hi Dietrich,

That's the BH Mayer/F&R design.
    Kind regards,
    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

OK, so which "unknown maker" used that design? Or is on the field of PAB not possible?
      The maker only produced the PAB for a about 1 1/2 years so the "make' should be what is considered "early".

Dietrich
      B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Are any of the EK series in the catalog you found?

Comment

Yes, and I think we have identified the previously unknown maker. No RK, only EK1 and EK2.
          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Interesting!

Comment

Hi Dietrich,

The earliest tombak badges are attributed to BH Mayers, for the simple reason that many of them are found with an L/18stamp. One should always bear in mind that this could have been a distribution mark!

Later this design was also produced in zink but also Frank & Reif used this design on their zink solid PAB's, and this was the only maker in this design who actually makermarked their badges as part of the mold.

The possibility of an other unknown maker in this pact is always possible.

There is also the so called "seven wheeler" which had a simular design but nothing alike.

Looking forwards to hear more about the catalog you found! I assume it's not Schickle (of which we already have catalog material with this PABGAB/IAB design) as there are no RK's in it...
              Last edited by Giel Van Wassenhove; 12-24-2009, 12:43 PM.
              Kind regards,
              Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

It is not Schickle and the badges are not maker marked, for sure.
                B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                  It is not Schickle and the badges are not maker marked, for sure.
                  Any other army combat badges in there?
                  Kind regards,
                  Giel

Comment

Yes. I was just hoping that with the PAB the identifiaction might be easier since - so I heard - the knowledge base is the best on the face of the earth.
                    I wouldn't know. As has been asserted, I "would not know a PAB if it bites me in the ass". Which is true!
                    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Hi Dietrich,

While the GAB and IAB also share the BH Mayer design, the uboat badge has the design of one of the unknown makers often connected to Petz & Lorenz.

What more is in the book?
                      Kind regards,
                      Giel

Comment

I can agree with what all Giel has said here, all 3 of Heer badges looks to be the so-called BH Mayer designs.

Interested to see more.

Tom
                        If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                        [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                        Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Giel Van Wassenhove View Post
                          .... the uboat badge has the design of one of the unknown makers often connected to Petz & Lorenz.
                          And that is correct! The catalog is Petz & Lorenz and I express my sincere hope that from this day on the identification of the unknown U-Boot badge will be attributed to me, Giel, Tom and the WAF! Whoever forgets this to mention in book form, in every post or even casual discussions is a thief, scoundrel and a disgrace for the hobby! It also needs to be mentioned in all available databases!

And of course I am kidding regarding that outrageous request!

However, it is interesting to note that it seems to be possible to identify the maker. I understand that it might not be possible with the badges using the "design concept".

There are some more orders and badges, but nothing spectacular. As it should be clear, P&L was forced out of business in mid 1941 as part of the cleansing drive of the LDO and didn't have time to produce a lot or for long. That would make the P&L U-Boot Badge pretty rare, or?

Could someone post a P&L U-Boot Badge, please?

Dietrich
                          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                            and I express my sincere hope that from this day on the identification of the unknown U-Boot badge will be attributed to me, Giel, Tom and the WAF! Whoever forgets this to mention in book form, in every post or even casual discussions is a thief, scoundrel and a disgrace for the hobby! It also needs to be mentioned in all available databases!
                            That is just brilliant !!

On a serious note, some of these catalogue badges have distinctive features, but we don't know that they are an exact likeness, do we?
                            The IAB shows a small cutout above the rifle butt that is quite distinctive to F&R IABs, and I don't recall seeing any GAB with a grenade screw cap as illustrated.

regards
                            Graeme

Comment

Is it possible to make some connection with the Mine Sweeper and the E-Boat Badge?
                              B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X