Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paratrooper question

Hi,
    I have a question about the collar patches worn in the book the 'Green Devils ' the collar patches apear to be red not yellow why?
    Merdock

Hi Merdock,
    I wondered about that myself once. I think the answer is ( and hopefully John H will back me up on this ) that the yellow patches absorb the flash light making the patches appear dark on black and white period photos.
    Regards

Steve

Comment

Close Steve, but not quite correct.

There are different kinds of B&W films and colors react differently using these different films. Some names used to describe different types B&W are pan and ortho. We mostly use panatomic design films for general photography today because it is accepted as the most "accurate" in grey tones, but ortho is still used for scientific applications. I used to have to shoot a lot of ortho in the 70's and could easily duplicate this effect in my studio if I had the time. Yellow appears dark in many older B&W films and this is obviously what the photographer used in his studio. Perhaps it's the only film he could get at this time during the war. In addition, colors can be made lighter or darker in B&W film simply by use of color filters. Believe me though, the tabs are standard yellow.

Best,
      John
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hell John.......that sounds like science !

Steve

Comment

Oh sorry I can drone on..... Ortho film reacts like it does cause it's sensitive to all light but red. Some red is in yellow, and other colors as well, red isn't in only red. So the ortho film doesn't "see" the red color in the yellow tabs and so they photograph darker.

The important fact of all this ramble is that this means that the camo helmets are not truly reproduced in B&W in the photos either. Any tan, yellow, or yellowish browns are reproduced darker as well.

Best,
          John
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Interesting information John...

Do you verify your skin tone theory on real subjects on the NC beaches???
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post

I'm resurrecting this ancient thread in hopes of seeing John's response to Willi's question...

Comment

Originally posted by Homer Hodge View Post
                I'm resurrecting this ancient thread in hopes of seeing John's response to Willi's question...
                Homer, it has been more than 7 years, so I guess John isn't going to respond!
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

You're probably right, Willi. It's a trade secret!

Comment

Collar Tabs

Greetings,
                    I had to throw this one in for the thread. I would bet these tabs aren't yellow, possibly red or black. Any ideas? Sincerely, DJB
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by David B. View Post
                      Greetings,
                      I had to throw this one in for the thread. I would bet these tabs aren't yellow, possibly red or black. Any ideas? Sincerely, DJB
                      Blau für Sanitäter.
                      best regards
                      Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by David B. View Post
                        Greetings,
                        Regardless of color David, this is a wonderful photo!
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by Gehlert View Post
                          Blau für Sanitäter.
                          That would be my guess as well.

Great photo David! Where have you been?
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post

Homer and Willi, forgive me for being a "bit" tardy to respond.

Yes, verified all this intel through careful and painstaking photography on NC and Bahama beaches. However am unable to post the results here because this thread would be cell-blocked and I would forever be banned from WAF.
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X