Nebel Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nebel Color

I finally managed to achieve lighting conditions without a flash that could capture the Nebeltruppe waffenfarbe color in an image (The more Purple items) . This is as close as I can get to the "in hand" color with a professional camera. The middle tabs are late 30s dress tabs. The lower ones are late War field service tabs in the darker red.

Does anyone have any dark colored insignia in this shade they know is Nebel.

I had thought the color became darker towards the end of the War or was a manufacturing difference but it is so distinct now I am wondering.

OKH personnel also wore a dark red. They could also be for TSD Judicial etc. The darker tabs are often sold as Nebel but I am starting to think that may not be correct.

You can see the color was maintained even until the M44 boards were being made.
    Attached Files

It's a very interesting study. I own (and I know) only Nebel related insignia in the darker "purple" color. I think the darker red of the OKH personell was a bright carmesine red (like veterinär troops) and not this kind of wine-red. IMO the only branch who wore this color was the TSD Judicial branch. But I saw this "sword boards" in all kind of shades, from dark pink to purple violett.

The dress tabs you're showing are very nice, but I think they're not the right pieces for compare branch colors. Most of this darker red toned pieces (also orange red and light green ones) are originate from firepolice and "Schutzpolizei der Gemeinden" branches.

All the best,
    Andreas

Comment

These are from a driver that was assinged to OKH in the late 1930s- The color is a darker red than Carmine like TSD. Unless my Nebeltruppe Waffenrocks are Fire Police than the tabs and other loose insignia are ineed Nebel. I know the difference and have looked and many Fire items etc. these are a different color that is more purple .
      Attached Files

Comment

nebel color certainly had variations due to different manufacturers,
        and to the use of wool or rayon or other material,
        and can show differences between a worn item or not,
        and a same item's piping can show variations depending of light conditions.

for instance, this piping color, wich seems very different,
        belongs in fact to the same shoulder strap :

the "true" color is realy difficult to catch on a pic.

derka

Comment

Thanks, I am aware there are variations but the dark red tabs are very different. I think TSD Judical was this darker color and Nebel tended to remain closer to the 1930s colors for the most part.

This is what I consider to be typical "text book" Nebel from the late 1930s
          Attached Files

Comment

Later you see a darker color reported being used by Nebel but other later war insignia I know is real remains the more purple shade. You can see the dark TSD type Red which by chance is the exact same type and color wool as Bundeswehr ABC. I not sure it is Nebel, I think all these tabs may be TSD. Many are being sold now as Nebel.
            Attached Files

Comment

BW ABC Waffenfarbe below and the WWII dark color above. Does someone have a TSD Judical Board to post?
              Attached Files

Comment

Then here it looks like a mix of the two or manufacturers differences. I have never seen the darker Red on prewar items however.
                Attached Files

Comment

another exemple

again, light conditions can modify the way it looks like.
                  derka

Comment

Interesting topic - and I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Notice the darker color to the board on the right in this photo. Later item? Manufacturing difference?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Mike, that is a match for the mystery red, if that is your upgraded M36 Nebel than that answers my question. Here is a later War Visor and mid to late War boards. The metal device on EM and Jr. NCO boards is correct for school cadre. That had me puzzled for awhile.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Other ones
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                          II had thought the color became darker towards the end of the War or was a manufacturing difference but it is so distinct now I am wondering.

OKH personnel also wore a dark red. They could also be for TSD Judicial etc. The darker tabs are often sold as Nebel but I am starting to think that may not be correct.

You can see the color was maintained even until the M44 boards were being made.
                          There is a definite difference between the purplish Nebel Waffenfarbe and the wine red tint of the TSD/OKH.

I love the Nebel M44 straps!!

Mike,

I believe that both of your tunics are Nebel.

Comment

Some more examples- This is what commonly happens when the color is photographed with a flash (Second image) and without (First Image)
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have a TSD Judical Shoulderboard that I can let someone post for me, for comparison. I will need to send you the photo via email though...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X