Japanese & nazi silk fringed banners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese & nazi silk fringed banners...

Hello folks. These came out of a recent estate clean out and have me a bit baffled. They both appear to be made of silk, are single-sided, and multi-pieced. The Japanese flag has rays reminiscent of some of the IJN flags I've seen, and also has some Kanji (if someone could translate it, that'd sure help!). Additionally, both have white hand-applied fringe. The Japanese flag measures roughly 3 x 6, whereas the Nazi banner is a bit smaller. Both appear to be completely hand-made and I'm of the opinion that both are of Japanese origin for a sort of "axis" display of solidarity or some such....They're in relatively good shape overall, apart from the obvious wrinkles and a couple of small holes, and of course, they SMELL their age. Sorry 'bout the crappy pix however, I couldn't lay them out properly w/ the small amount of floor space I have available. Any informative comments would be very welcome. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Milton; 10-05-2011, 02:12 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Anyone have any ideas re. the Kanji on this flag?

Comment

It is from the Namura Ship Building Co of Osaka, who must have hosted a visit from a delegation of Germans.

Comment

Thank You Nick. That's very interesting! They're made almost like podium banners and must've been picked up during the early occupation I'd imagine. The man who brought them back is no longer with us but now at least I can research them further. Thx again!

Comment

They are still in business http://www.namura.co.jp/en/index.html

Comment

Thanks again! Appreciate the help.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                X