Bavarian Ludwig Cross: Types and Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bavarian Ludwig Cross: Types and Groups

I can't get very good scans of solid dark awards, so some details are lost.

This is the obverse of an chemically black oxydized BRONZE Ludwig Cross, presumably the first type made in 1916.
    Attached Files

Reverse of the blackened bronze type
    Attached Files

Comment

Von Hessenthal and Schrieber report that there was a blackened IRON type, but I've never seen one.

This is a hard green enamel paint finished zink type. It's impossible to say how many of each sort might have been awarded, but I'd say by casual observation that these green zink ones are about as common as the bronze ones. There were also unfinished zink ones, but I've never seen one.

The usual number awarded cited is 73,000 by the spring of 1918, but the way the war was going, and with the trailing off of this kind of award for several years after the war, actual number might be double that.
      Attached Files

Comment

reverse of the green zink variety
        Attached Files

Comment

The Ludwig Cross was instituted 7 January 1916 for merit inside Germany ("in der Heimat") in the armed forces or for civilians, for war merit or general recognition of services to wartime public welfare. There were no rank distinctions and anyone could receive it.

Like the Saxon War Merit Cross, it was supposed to be awarded ONLY to persons who had no other Bavarian wartime award, to be set aside and no longer worn if a Bavarian war award was subsequently bestowed. In practice, since apparently the Cross did not have to be physically returned, postwar groups often show one being worn with other Bavarian war awards. The strange statutes also state that it was to be awarded to persons who had no reasonable expectation of receiving any other Bavarian award.

It was certainly fairly widely presented outside the ranks of Bavarian nationals.

Here are two Ludwig ribbon bars-- one (with matching bow) to a Bavarian military Beamter who also got a noncombatnt "white-black" Iron Cross for whatever he did back home, and the other a trio to a non-Bavarian, who also received the similar services Wilhelmskreuz of Württemberg with Swords, as well as a combatant (or "black-white" anyway) Iron Cross.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a packet of one, posted for John Harman, new acolyte from the Zinky Side--
            Attached Files

Comment

And also from John, this is what came in it:
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Rick. I got this piece from Stogie-Rick not even a month ago.

Best regards,
                John Harman

Comment

Here is one on a non-comb. EKII medal-bar:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's another bar

with the chemically blackened bronze type. Note the Luitpold medal as well.
                    Last edited by Eric Stahlhut; 09-01-2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

Rick,

While looking for something entirely different, I came across another version of this award. It is pretty minty.The finish is a deep black. What exactly do you mean by 'hard green'? It is nonmagnetic and the metal is definitely not bronze.

Comment

Pardon the tape,

and NO it wasn't me that put it on there....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X