Lorraine Schlepper (f) from Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lorraine Schlepper (f) from Iraq

This topic was posted on the Warrelics.eu forum earlier this year....
    Thought it would be worth repeating here...

What ever happended to this Wehrmacht Lorraine Schlepper (f) that was found in Iraq? (Bassoreah area)

Was it saved?

Looks like the locals already vandalized it by removing most of the armor for scrap metal!
    What a shame!

Full German official nomenclature is:
    10.5 cm leFH 18(Sf) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM.

WW2 paint scheme
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
      Looks like the locals already removed some parts off of it in the mean time! What a shame!

Full German official nomenclature is:
      10.5 cm leFH 18(Sf) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f)
      Nick,

Yeah...someone is probably driving around in a fully armored Datsun B210.

Richard

Comment

Or, more likely, an up-armored humvee or gun truck. Armor plate was like gold there not so long ago.

Comment

Hi Nick

Sweet I think there might be more than just one in Irak maybe as many as five ? These appeared in North Afrika as You know...here is some more info.

During the early months of 1942, a decision aimed at strengthening the self-propelled cannon support for the Panzer divisions. One of those was to use more than 300 French armored tractor chassis 37L which had been captured during the French campaign in 1940, was initially thought to use these only for tank destroyer units, however, Hitler gave the order for 40 of them were used to install a gun chase 15cm SFH was necessary for the operations being carried out by Rommel in North Africa.
          TYPE
          Howitzer Self-propelled Howitzer, engine 6 cylinder 70PS to 2.800rpm 3.55lts
          CREW 4 men
          WEIGHT 8.49 tons DIMENSIONS Length 5.31m Width 1.83m Height 2.23m
          Transmission 5 forward, 1 reverse Speed 34km / h Range 135km
          A cannon 15cm sFH13 / 1 (L/17) or a 10.5cm L/28 leFH18/40
          The original chassis "Blinde 37L Tracteur" was only slightly modified in the part of the traction. The superstructure was designed by Alkett and assembly took place in Paris in July of that year 78 were ready and Keitel called Lorraine Scheppler that 30 of them were equipped with the barrel of 15cm SFH, while the other half were given a tank destroyer units with 15cm cannon and assembled in Paris.

In May 1942, he ordered the installation of sixty leFH18 10.5cm / 4 in the remaining chassis, but only 12 were completed. One of these Russian equipped with a 122mm cannon of the armored train was caught in Burgundy in September 1944. The first were delivered to the Artillery Battalion of the 21st Panzer Division in North Africa Tunisia '43, in early 1944 still existed in the inventory 54 in service with the armies on the Western Front
          Sorry my Espanol is muy pequeño...

Comment

The "After" photograph just breaks my heart.
            Thanks for sharing.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael H. Pruett View Post
              Thanks for sharing.
              Mike
              Mine as well

Comment

it needs to be put in a museum. I think the armor idea is likely. maybe it saved some american lives 70 years after trying to kill them

Comment

Originally posted by Michael H. Pruett View Post
                  Thanks for sharing.
                  Mike

Look closer,...they are two different machines. The forground and backgrounds of each photo are different. I think they are sitting side by side.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                    Look closer,...they are two different machines.
                    Yes - look closer: Unfortunately its the same vehicle, compare the rust-spots:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Back to the top!
                      (well over 1 year old already...)

Whatever happened to it I wonder?
                      Was it rocovered? Saved and in a museum now (with new armor)?
                      Anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                        Back to the top!
                        (well over 1 year old already...)

Whatever happened to it I wonder?
                        Was it rocovered? Saved and in a museum now (with new armor)?
                        Anybody?
                        No It has been scrapped by the locals.

I know the guy, who took the last pictures of it. I have a few more, but whats the point now.

Comment

What a shame...An interesting piece of history lost...
                          I wonder how it ended up there in the first place...ex DAK?
                          For the heck of it, sure post some more images if you like..."in memory of"!!

Comment

It is believed that Egypt sold some DAK leftovers to Iraq after WW2. I dont know when.

Comment

I have posted the pictures on my blog. Please dont steal them, if you are gonna show them to anyone, LINK to them please.

http://hvasnakkerduom.blogspot.com/2...hutzwagen.html

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X