No announcement yet.

U-Boat badge help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an unidentified maker badge, it would be nice to see some sharper closeups of the obverse for future reference, including the eagle's odd feet, etc.

Interesting to me that although the obverse bears no resemblance to the Juncker-style tombak badges, the reverse hardware looks a lot like the pin of a "1st pattern" Juncker and the flat wire catch of a "2nd pattern" Juncker, but mounted on plates for attachment to zinc. Could Juncker have had a 2nd die for making zinc badges after finishing their tombak production? Just wild speculation of course...
    Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
      You have a good point, however, maybe you answered your own question since the owner of the jacket made sure that the badge was not going to be going anyplace easily.

John
      For sure, but where do you wear foul weather gear? On the deck presumably. I can see on below deck uniforms and definitely on walking out uniforms, but why bother sporting your badges and medals in the rain on the conning tower?

It's not a criticism. I still like the look of the items, but it seems to be a little idiosyncratic. 19 year olds at sea do funny things though.

Comment

What an awesome set...

Daniel

Comment

Yes John, i do own this, i got this back in the late 80's...i believe.
          As for use on "foul weather", i can't answer why....is it possible he got transfered from U-boat to maybe an E or S- boat, and kept his award?
          Just why go through all the trouble sewing loops on leather?
          Wish i could get clearer photos for you guys, but my camera is atleast 10 yrs. old.
          Thanks Again for your help.
          And yes John, i put it all back together as soon as pics were done, with no damage
          Regards,
          Gary

Comment

I was thinking about this last night (because I'm geeky that way about this stuff) and yes, that's what I came up with as well: probably transferred and mounted it on his daily work wear as a status symbol.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpahl View Post
              For sure, but where do you wear foul weather gear? On the deck presumably. I can see on below deck uniforms and definitely on walking out uniforms, but why bother sporting your badges and medals in the rain on the conning tower?

It's not a criticism. I still like the look of the items, but it seems to be a little idiosyncratic. 19 year olds at sea do funny things though.
              Well, check out the German Army uniforms on the Eastern Front and look at what they are wearing in combat. Badges all over their uniforms. Compare that with the typical US uniform kit in combat. You do not see a single decoration on a US uniform and for the US Navy--khakis and dungarees, strictly functional, since the blue uniform was never worn in combat. For the KM, different story.

Heck, this might have been an officer's uniform so might be all of 22 or 23!!!!!

John

Comment

Originally posted by RUHL13 View Post
                Yes John, i do own this, i got this back in the late 80's...i believe.
                As for use on "foul weather", i can't answer why....is it possible he got transfered from U-boat to maybe an E or S- boat, and kept his award?
                Just why go through all the trouble sewing loops on leather?
                Wish i could get clearer photos for you guys, but my camera is atleast 10 yrs. old.
                Thanks Again for your help.
                And yes John, i put it all back together as soon as pics were done, with no damage
                Regards,
                Gary
                I think it was early war like I said but probably a replaced badge at some point since it is zinc. Does not take anything away from it though.

You kept your earned badges so if he went someplace else, like an S-boat, he would wear the U-boat badge in addition to the S-boat badge and any other awards he might have received.

John

Comment

Originally posted by johnpahl View Post
                  I was thinking about this last night (because I'm geeky that way about this stuff) and yes, that's what I came up with as well: probably transferred and mounted it on his daily work wear as a status symbol.
                  Yes, this is possible for sure. John

Comment

Originally posted by RUHL13 View Post
                    As for use on "foul weather", i can't answer why....
                    Gary
                    Check out this period photo of a U-boot crew in "Kriegsmarine am Feind". Leather jacket on the left sporting an EKI.
                    Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great photo Norm
                      Does it look like the guy in the second row center could be wearing a second class EK ribbon?
                      Regards,
                      Gary

Comment

Well there you go.

Comment

I had no doubts about the originality of this set when Gary posted it. First because of how the badge is attached and second because I have seen medals being worn on leather jackets in period photos. Here is a picture of U-boat commander Cremer in one piece kriegsmarine coveralls with EK1 attached My guess would be that Gary's set belonged to a officer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X