E-bay grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-bay grouping

Alright, did anyone here get this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT fine insignia grouping? I really liked it a lot. I was going to post the pics here to have them in the future but my PC has been acting up.
    Scott

I was thinking about going for but I convinced my self not to for that price or higher.... I really really REALLY like the pilots ID square thats filled in!! Hopefully a member got this group!!

Comment

whoa...someone was definitely buying for the story on that one. Other than the helmet anchors, didn't really see any individual item that was particularly rare. maybe I'm missing something.....?

Comment

I ran out of steam at $200. I didn't think that it would go for too much more than that. All I can say is........wow.

Comment

That woven insignia has a good bit of helmet cover on it which is really cool! That configuration for that belt is the harder one to find. I have only seen one other. It was on CG. The filled out label crudely cut fram a naval flight suit is pretty great. One of the helmet badges was in usable condition. The other was not. I have never seen a WW2 era pacific "Hate Belt". Rough IJA buttonhole ID tag but still neat. Lots of rare USMC paperwork with a discharge to a Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, & Tinian Rifleman. If you add the parts up it makes sense. Cut off insignia with the garment material still attached has a big market and reaches across the collecting spectrum. I guarantee there were not just US or Japanese (or only WW2 for that matter) collectors bidding on these. This would attract insignia of the world collectors, German, Aviation and who knows who else. I really liked it not even taking into account the story. All in all some rare stuff almost never encountered anymore. I was really hoping someone here got it so we could get some more/better pics.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Striking 9th View Post
            That woven insignia has a good bit of helmet cover on it which is really cool! That configuration for that belt is the harder one to find. I have only seen one other. It was on CG. The filled out label crudely cut fram a naval flight suit is pretty great. One of the helmet badges was in usable condition. The other was not. I have never seen a WW2 era pacific "Hate Belt". Rough IJA buttonhole ID tag but still neat. Lots of rare USMC paperwork with a discharge to a Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, & Tinian Rifleman. If you add the parts up it makes sense. Cut off insignia with the garment material still attached has a big market and reaches across the collecting spectrum. I guarantee there were not just US or Japanese (or only WW2 for that matter) collectors bidding on these. This would attract insignia of the world collectors, German, Aviation and who knows who else. I really liked it not even taking into account the story. All in all some rare stuff almost never encountered anymore. I was really hoping someone here got it so we could get some more/better pics.
            Scott
            Scott,
            Im glad that you brought this up here as I would love to know how got it and see better pics of the items. I didn't go for the story but really wanted a few items in the lot and must admit that I went as high as $525.00 but due to another purchase (isnt that the case all the time LOL) stopped there. Congrats to the new owner. David.

Comment

Scott & I spoke at length about this grouping. As he said the individual pieces add up plus+++ Even the poor condition NLF collar tabs were great!

Comment

Also about the Navy Pilots ID Green Square and some uniform left around,there is always a "Possibilty" that it can be translated and ID'D. Maybe this was a japanese pilot who crashed on land and this US marine hopped in to take some more souveniers and the pilot was still actually in the cockpit. You can never say never. Would be need to research the pulot name and maybe unit thats on the tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryukyutunnelrat View Post
                  Scott,
                  Im glad that you brought this up here as I would love to know how got it and see better pics of the items. I didn't go for the story but really wanted a few items in the lot and must admit that I went as high as $525.00 but due to another purchase (isnt that the case all the time LOL) stopped there. Congrats to the new owner. David.
                  LOL don't feel bad David. I pushed it up over $800 . After it was over I started to feel I should have went K+ on it. You guys think this is bad. I have seen an SS collar tab on a partial collar w/ litzen go quad K+. Michael you never know but I would guess whoever found this flight suit laying around and liberated the chest label. This to me was a hardcore infantryman's bring back lot. Rarely have I seen a real front line Infantryman have little more then cut insignia, flags, ect. Stuff they could carry with them. The heavy or bulky stuff was traded away or left for the followers. Some did pack bigger items away but it was not the norm imo. Some picked up some stuff on occupation duty as well.
                  Scott
                  Last edited by Striking 9th; 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Striking 9th View Post
                    Alright, did anyone here get this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT fine insignia grouping? I really liked it a lot. I was going to post the pics here to have them in the future but my PC has been acting up.
                    Scott
                    Scott,
                    I will post pics on this thread to keep them for future reference. VERY neat grouping!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for taking the time to do that Tropen. Here are some closeups of the badges the seller sent me. Hope these post ok. They should be in the same order as on the belt. One serviceable and one not so serviceable. I would have left them on that belt. Belt looks to have had others taken off of it sometime in the past. The one on the right is of a pattern not often observed imo. I know another collector who has a brass one very similar to it.
                          Scott
                          Attached Files

Comment

I didn't think the story was too outrageous to believe with this grouping. I would have been bidding like a mad man had the Marine's uniform been included. A lot of really neat stuff none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew T S View Post
                              I didn't think the story was too outrageous to believe with this grouping. I would have been bidding like a mad man had the Marine's uniform been included. A lot of really neat stuff none the less.
                              Yea, I agree Mathew. I talked with the seller on the phone. I came away feeling good about this group. If you look at it the grouping just screams legitimacy imo. Very true that e-bay is full of criminals but there are also good people that just want to make a buck on stuff they find around. If anyone remembers the SNLF medical pouch I got last year it was reported to have been picked up on Tarawa by a Corpsman. I wanted to believe as that is my main interest. I was pleasantly surprised when the name checked out. Well thanks to my good friend KB I got a lead on where this vet was from. He had been a member in the 2nd Marine Division assn. When contacted a certain family member remembered the pouch as well as the contents. The first thing he asked was if it had the "eye patches" in it still. He then went on to say (with no prompting) that he had told them how he had in fact picked it up on Tarawa. It is now one of my most prized items. This stuff is out there. People find it who all to often don't care. They sell it....We chase it....and on and on lol. I know it's hard to believe but their are honest people out there from time to time.
                              Scott
                              Last edited by Striking 9th; 05-05-2010, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X