A question for SS collectors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for SS collectors.

I have a serious question on Alg. SS visors. RZM contract ones to be exact. I asked this question on another forum only to have the posting member (an X-member here) storm off the forum like I stole his manhood. Robert you can answer too as long as it is not another dumb answer. First off, has anyone ever seem an RZM contract cap with the Kupper patent markings Strindruckfrei before? Has anyone ever seen an RZM contract cap with a Pekuro type sweatband before? Now remember I am NOT talking about a private purchase, strictly RZM contract. Does anyone know if the term Strindruckfrei was ever used generically in regards to a padded system other than Kuppers patent? God forbid I asked that question on another forum. The cap posted was a RZM contract cap with Strindruckfrei on the lining with a standard sweatband. The poster said it was circa 34/35. I do know that Kupper received his D.R.G.M status in 1931 so early caps would have both markings, Strindruckfrei & D.R.G.M. I believe that full patent status was awarded in 1937 or 1938 and the D.R.G.M. was dropped.

Unfortunately the poster felt I was taking aim at the cap he posted. My question was anything but. The cap looked good from the picture. The reason I am asking is that if that term was used generically prior to Kupper than it would open the door to things most of us consider red flags right now. Personally since he had a D.R.G.M. on the term in 1931 I don’t think that is the case but would love to hear what the SS collectors have to say. Peter Manzie, this question is right up your ally.

NTZ,
    I am totally ignorant regarding SS caps, but can't the term "Stirndruckfrei" also refer to the sponge padding in the front, as well as the velvet band attached to the edge of the sweatband? Perhaps a silly question on my part...
    Regards,
    Leroy

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
      NTZ,
      I am totally ignorant regarding SS caps, but can't the term "Stirndruckfrei" also refer to the sponge padding in the front, as well as the velvet band attached to the edge of the sweatband? Perhaps a silly question on my part...
      Regards,
      Leroy
      That is the basic question. Every single untouched visor I have ever seen, Heer, Civil, SS, Luft all had the Kupper sweatband. Now I have seen obviously messed with visors that were marked Strindruckfrei without the band.

It is my opinion (which I keep an open mind about) that the term was in reference to his patent only just like Stirn-u-schlafendruckfrei was to Clemens Wagner and Stirnschutz was to Erel.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Nick,

we mostly associate the Stirndrukfrei system as "Free of forehead pressure" and quite a few of these seem to exist, with padding, air pockets or sponges.

The problem as you have highlighted comes when the wording is there, but no system to back it up.

Most early caps I have seen seem to have the old orange sponges which solidify with age, if there is a padded system fitted. The CW, Erel and Pekuro systems seemed to take cap technology forward, like rounding off the edges of the block to create the wheel.

If I see a cap marked Stirndrukfrei with no system fitted I follow Bolt's example and run like #%&@

We see so many caps marked "Stirdrukfrei Deutches Reichspatent" which I always associate as Pekuro's design, if it isn't fitted I don't like it.

There are loads and loads of caps around like this that are junk, it is often a bad sign.

J T

Comment

Good insight JT This is the type of comments I wanted in the other forum.

Comment

dump question gets a dump answer honestly I wonder about your question especially you mention it as a serious question

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
                dump question gets a dump answer honestly I wonder about your question especially you mention it as a serious question
                Robert if you feel this is a dumb question than you are so far removed from visor collecting it is not funny. Dumb to you because you only have a basic understanding and knowledge. That is why people like me can spot red flags in caps you can’t. We understand things you think are dumb. By the way did your generals sell yet? Have you not questioned why?

Comment

Oh and Robert, if you ever want to post that cap for discussion I promise to stay out. I would love to sit back and watch though.

Comment

as everybody knows mr. know it all. just be happy with your great knowledge u think and know u have and take care everybody loves you as much you think they do. of course you need something to pick on but better take care for your door posings tell me more what you can promise to me, I can promise you then also something if you like to.

Comment

Strirndruckfrei

Please refer to Hayes books Page # 92
                      Wasserdicht Stirndruckfrei D.R.P.
                      This hat is very early, but probably has the early RZM brown RZM Tag.
                      Peter

Comment

Sorry for the double RZM reference...Friday night!

Comment

Good call Peter. I just took a look. I does have the corresponding velvet band and pre-patent markings also. I makes sense. Glad to see an example of one.

Oh Robert, try not to type when you are mad. Your English suffers. Was that a threat you made?

Comment

propably better then your German

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
                              propably better then your German
                              Robert you are probably correct but why don’t you yell at me in German. I am a masochist

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X