Star Globe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Globe

Well, this is not exactly an award but I thought that you Kriegsmarine guys would like to see it anyway!

This Sternenglobus came from a KM-collector in the South of England several years ago who had some really nice artifacts and it looks great in my office.

Does anyone know how much these are worth-not that I'm thinking of selling it. Fortunately, my wife likes it as much as I do!

Stan
    Attached Files

Star Globe

This is the protective dome.

Stan
    Attached Files

Comment

Star Globe

And the maker's name.

Stan
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing this wonderful and rare globe Stan! I have not seen one for sale so I can't comment on the value, but it is a great item! best wishes,
        jeff
        Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

It would be an award to your kriegsmarine collecting skill. Absolutely wonderful!! I am still looking for one for my collection. As well as a compass, and of course a Knights Cross.

Best regards,
          Terrence

Comment

Hi Stan,

That is an amazing piece of kit, and in amazing condition with it's cover with hardly any paint chips! It would have to be post-war salvage - any idea what ship it came off? I could not even guess at a value as I've never seen one for sale.

Many thanks for sharing.

Regards
            Mike
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I never seen one of these so I couldn't help you with the price, but thx for sharing tough...

Comment

Priceless if you ask me. Too cool. i wish I could find/afford one!
                Cheers,
                Brian

Comment

KM Globe

Hello,
                  Great globe-I wish I had one. I asked about one several years ago from several KM collectors and was of the impression that such an item would be in the $5,000+ range.

Regards,
                  Jody

Comment

Superb,a very fine item.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

yes indeed.

Not sure if this would even of been on a ship though. I used one similar to this one when I was in the Navy as well but it was more of a training aid rather than a navigation aid.

If I remember correctly the teacher would set it up and then we would have to figure out our supposed position on the earth with the data from it.

Was more of a historical exercise anyway as just to show us how it was done in the old days I guess. BTW I do not remember ever seeing a Sextant on any ship I served on,

Celestial navigation this is almost a lost art now.

PS
                      Just as an aside my dad is the last 'Licensed Civilian Navigator Air' in Canada. Goes in for his test every two years and pays the 12$ fee, I wonder how many Government workers he keeps employed by keeping his license active?

Comment

Der Standortfinder

The Luftwaffe used a similar concept called "Der Standortfinder".
                        It was a stereographic map used with a Mercator Projection.
                        "Der Standortfinder" translates into English as "The Position Locator". http://www.konradknirim.online.de/rlm2.pdf
                        A more modern Russian version of the Star Globe can be had on E-bay. They are offered periodically and are usually in good condition.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-STAR-Cel...ayphotohosting

Delmarva

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X