Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engraved 57er EKI

Hi all,
    I've just been sitting here going through some of my archived collection photos when I came across a photo I took a few years ago of an engraved 57er EKI. This piece hasn't been in my collection for a long time and I'd forgotton all about it.

It's engraved HL 14.11.44 (Jeez that's 64 years today...weird! ) and then 1959. I presume HL is the guys initials then the award date but what do you think is the significance of 1959? I thought maybe the year he bought the 57er Cross??...but why would you need that engraved and plus I believe the Cross was manufactured a lot later than '59.

Opinions?

Sorry for the photos, was taken a few years ago with a naff digi camera.

Dave
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dave,
        What makes you think the cross was made after '59?
        I like it, I would agree that the date in '44 is very likely the original award date and I can't think of any other eason why 1959 would be engraved other than the reason you stated.

Comment

Hi Adrian,
          While the Cross is of early manufacture I didn't think it was that early, although I'm willing to be corrected I'm not exactly au fait with 57 awards

Dave

Comment

While the hardware looks like a later piece, the finish is like you'd see on an earlier EKI. Another reason for the 59 could be the date he entered the West German army. Just a guess...

Comment

Hello

I'm inclined to agree with Georges theory on the engraving. It's certainly plausable. As for the cross itself, the front of it appears to be of the high quality that is seen on the early pieces. The hardware on the rear would suggest that it may be slightly later than, say, 1958/59, but from the front finish I wouldn't have thought it's much later - certainly very early 1960's (?).

Dave, can you remember if the core was magnetic, and whether, when viewed side on, if the side profile of the hinge was a solid block or not?

Regards
              David

Comment

Hi David,
                Yes I remember that the core was magnetic and the hinge was definitely a solid block!
                It was also frosted and burnished but it doesn't show too well in the photos.

Dave

Comment

Hello Dave

Thanks for that, it confirms my earlier comments that it is a nice early cross, possibly very early 1960's. Here's another one, (photos are from a dealers site). I assume yours looked exactly like this one when viewed side on.

Regards
                  David
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
                    I assume yours looked exactly like this one when viewed side on.
                    Yes identical!

Comment

Dave-B
                      Your cross is a very early piece. Manufactured before 1960. The 1959 could be the year he entered the Bundeswehr. The cross/engraving could be a present from an old army friend. It is a good cross. I would not worry. Thanks for showing it.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking View Post
                        Dave-B
                        Your cross is a very early piece. Manufactured before 1960. The 1959 could be the year he entered the Bundeswehr. The cross/engraving could be a present from an old army friend. It is a good cross. I would not worry. Thanks for showing it.

Peter

I wasn't worried Peter mate but thanks anyway (I have not owned this Cross for some years, I was just mildy curious about the significance of the 1959 date )

Comment

There are two possibilitis for the dat. The first and I would think the reason, it would mark the 15 anaversery of the award. The second could be when he was confirmed as to having been awarded the cross. EG, the time that the records were proved. Thus the two dates, that of award and 1959 when he could ontain the award.

The other reason proported are all possible. On the same note this might have been the time he joined an old Commrades assosiation.

Comment

The patina on the back of this cross has built up over the years since original purchase, yet the engraving shows no signs of it. In fact the engraving looks like it's been done right on top of existing crud. I think the cross is likely '60s manufacture, and that the engraving is probably done 21st C. Just my opinion based on my own observations of this and many other crosses.

Also, I know that most of the folks who posted in this thread no longer visit this forum and that the thread itself is over a year old... but, eh.
                            Best regards,
                            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X