High Seas Fleet badge by FO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Seas Fleet badge by FO

Hi Guys, these are the only pics I have ... but what do you make of this zinc badge? Cheers, Torsten.
    Attached Files

Hi Torsten,

A very nice example of the "hybrid" variation of the Friedrich Orth Fleet badge. Presumably the cast-in hinge block was ground off in the factory and separate hardware attached for this variation. (another topic that is covered in Vol. 3 of the The Kriegsmarine Awards)

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm,

thank you very much for the good news. I just bought this badge. Let me know if you need any close up pics for your library. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Hi Torsten,

I should mention that from the limited photo of the reverse, it's possible the tip of the cast-in catch has been broken off, something to which these badges were very prone.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

Yes. It does look like it.

Comment

I agree about the broken catch, otherwise nice FO zinc HSF
            Cheers,
            Hubert

Comment

A real one.

Comment

Hello Torsten,

Looks like a nice original with a good amount of finish intact. Too bad about the catch, but hopefully there is enough present that it will still retain the pin.

Best regards,
                Tom
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Nice original F. Orth High Seas Fleet. A little vasoline should clean up some of the Zinc Pest if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                    Hi Torsten,

A very nice example of the "hybrid" variation of the Friedrich Orth Fleet badge. Presumably the cast-in hinge block was ground off in the factory and separate hardware attached for this variation. (another topic that is covered in Vol. 3 of the The Kriegsmarine Awards)

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Nice to see, that I'm not the only guy with that kind of hybrid
                    BR, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
                      Hello Torsten,

Looks like a nice original with a good amount of finish intact. Too bad about the catch, but hopefully there is enough present that it will still retain the pin.

Best regards,
                      Tom
                      Hi Tom, I think (and hope) that there is ... it is on its way to me now. Lets see what it is like once I have it in my hands. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

BTW, mine was discussed here:
                        http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/s...d.php?t=568835

BR, Chris

Comment

I have the badge in hand now and it is a good one. The tip of the catch is broken off, but there is enough left to hold the needle shut. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Hi Torsten,
                            Broken cast-in catch is very common damage to these FO HSFs and that is probably why they decided to replace it with round wire later on as on my badge.
                            Cheers,
                            Hubert
                            Attached Files

Comment

yes, the wire catch makes much more sense

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X