Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Dutch tailor made SS officer's tunic

Hi,

Now the Easter holidays are here, finally some time to catch up with posting some items to show.

This stripped Dutch tailor made SS officer's tunic for instance. It's a 5 button tunic tailored in rather light-weight Trikot fabric and green collar. The collar appears smaller than the standerd German-type collars and doesn't feature collar hooks. It has German style large French cuffs.
    There is a Dutch tailor tag in the inner pocket that says: "IN DE PARADIJSVOGEL, GEBRs BISCHOFF GORINCHEM". Unfortunately the tag isn't filled in by the owner.

The tunic is completely stripped of insignia. The sewn in shoulderboards have been removed, and the seams are neatly resewn. The imprint of the collar tabs are noticeble on the collar, and traces of a sleeve eagle are there. Clearly it never had a Heer breast eagle. I've checked it with a black light, and the traces are consistent with the light worn tunic. In addition to the traces the sleeve eagle, there also is an imprint of a shield, positioned above the eagle. Due to the shape of the shield it looks like it must have been a 'Demjansk'-shield.
    A nice foreign made jacket for German service IMO, and the great quality of craftmanship. As someone mentioned in another topic on Dutch made tunics in SS service, due to the appearance of these Dutch made tunics on period photos, the quality of craftmanship was highly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Nice restauration project! I agree a 'Demjansk'-shield was there at one time!
                        Interesting maker! Good score!

Comment

very nice one

Comment

I was asked to comment, but I can not add much to what has been written.

I agree that this is real nice, real Dutch made, real W-SS and real typical of what for some reason a number of SS officers liked to have made!

IMO these Dutch W-SS officer tunics fall into 3 types:

1. The ones apparently converted from actual Dutch officer tunics.
                            2. Ones made from the "ground up" but incorporating one or more uniuqe Dutch officer features of cut, such as the Demelhuber (sp?) tunic.
                            3. Tunics like this which or more or less made to German specs in terms of cut..but maybe still using Dutch fabric and tailoring techniques.

The collar (I think) represents the "statement" made by many SS officers of a more casual soldier's soldier look that they preferred....rather than the Prussian nobility....this was not universal by any means but was a real under current for some officers.

I don't know what else to say other than congratulations and I would be proud to own it....IMO a restoration would be very acceptable and I would always keep the before and after photos with it.

Comment

congrats gert

mvg johan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X