Finally the first genuine marked DKG by S&L I've seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally the first genuine marked DKG by S&L I've seen

I just got this beauty in the mail. I think it's genuine, but can't be 100% sure until the others take a look at it. This one is the first one I've ever seen (or owned) that I think is good.

The date:

Comment

The reverse
      Attached Files

Comment

the mark
        Attached Files

Comment

the hinge
          Attached Files

Comment

the catch
            Attached Files

Comment

Here are some side shots to illustrate the quality of construction:
              Attached Files

Comment

Another side shot
                Attached Files

Comment

One more side shot:
                  Attached Files

Comment

How many makers were there to the DK series(gold and silver) Why is this maker so very rare?

Comment

German crosses maker marked nr.4

Hello,

Dear Paulmedic, you will find all of your answer in regards towards producers, etc ... in the following superb article :

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/germ...cross_main.htm

Well let me say yuri that it is not a cross that I like personally, and for the following few reasons that cross my mind at first glance :

* the wreath is of a different kind then normally encountered on model 1957, Steinhauer & Luck pieces.

* The colour of the red enamel is not something I like (this could be the light or the way the picture is taken offcoarse), I would expect a more brick or darker red.

* Another point is that it is strange IMHO that such nr.4 marked crosses popped up somwhere in the later 70's or beginning 80's and before that time there was never ever a reference that stated or even did notice the existence of these crosses, exept in the 1957 form !!!!

Anyway im sure others will join in and lets learn from each other

Cordial greetings,
                      my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

info

Yuri, do you have weights and length of your cross?

Thanks,
                        Joao Alberto.

Comment

Height: 63.49 mm
                          Width: 63.59 mm
                          Hinge width: 11.19 mm
                          LFHTC: 45.86 mm
                          Weight: 48.4 g

Originally posted by Joao Alberto
                          Yuri, do you have weights and length of your cross?

Thanks,
                          Joao Alberto.

Comment

Stijn,

The points that you don't like are the points that I like. I've always regarded the 1957 S&L pieces as just that - 1957 S&L pieces. They are all made very badly as far as DKGs are concerned. The wreath, and the black star are not symmetrical and there are gaps between the wreath and Cupal dome. Also the rivets on the 1957 pieces are sloppy and bad looking in general. The rivets here are uniform and well done. There are other positive points:

o Genuine looking shear marks on the pin.
                            o Black enamel is identical to that found on other types of DKGs, namely the 134s
                            o Dimensions are good (not undersized like most DKG reproductions found in 70s and 80s).
                            o The wear on this DKG is consistent with other worn DKGs that are original.
                            o The color of the enamel very closely matches several original DKGs in the article on this web site, namely the very first Deschler DKG.
                            o Notice the shape of the swastika from the side shots. It has that convex look to it that is shared by all other DKGs.

I've always felt that the 1957 DKG by S&L should not be used as a template for judging original wartime examples. the 1957 award, plus the multitude of reproductions using 1957 parts are very sloppy and would NOT pass inspection before being issued. Just take a look at all the other DKGs, they are tight, symmetrical and well-assembled.

This is the very first S&L DKG with a maker's mark that I believe is genuine. We need more opinions here though.

Gordon???

Originally posted by Stijn David
                            Hello,

Dear Paulmedic, you will find all of your answer in regards towards producers, etc ... in the following superb article :

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/germ...cross_main.htm

Well let me say yuri that it is not a cross that I like personally, and for the following few reasons that cross my mind at first glance :

* the wreath is of a different kind then normally encountered on model 1957, Steinhauer & Luck pieces.

* The colour of the red enamel is not something I like (this could be the light or the way the picture is taken offcoarse), I would expect a more brick or darker red.

* Another point is that it is strange IMHO that such nr.4 marked crosses popped up somwhere in the later 70's or beginning 80's and before that time there was never ever a reference that stated or even did notice the existence of these crosses, exept in the 1957 form !!!!

Anyway im sure others will join in and lets learn from each other

Cordial greetings,
                            Last edited by Yuri Desyatnik; 11-20-2003, 09:36 AM.

Comment

maker marked 4 DKiG

Hi Yuri,

I agree that we need more opinions but just let me add that It is however very strange that these crosses never popped up before (don't you agree?). Why for example would the company of S&L suddenly began to make such crosses as there was no need for just anotehr manufacturer as there where already a few in this area.

I also believe that the very first 57 pieces are of very good craftmenshop (look for example towards the KC'ses, etc ...) and might not be switched with later issued or produced pieces.

Anyway keep keep the opinions comming

Cordial greetings,
                              my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X