T124X Naval Agreement - Special Force activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T124X Naval Agreement - Special Force activities

22 years ago I was given service documents, photographs and a fairly unusual fighting knife by a good friend who was a member our local Burma Star Association. We got to know each other well, he was the Secretary and I was the Treasurer. When my father died I was asked to take his position as President of the Branch, but although a great honour was one iI could not possibly accept. I asked if there was any other position and was told they needed a Treasurer, a post I held for 14 years until we had to close the branch due to having lost almost all our members. Today there no more than 5 surviving members from over 60 at the time I joined.

Back then it was impossible to find any information about T124X that my friend had been a part of. We used to spend occasional long pleasant evenings together, he much enjoyed Gin and sometimes a full bottle seemed to just evaporate. He lived not far from my home and always walked back with a steady gait. As he progessively gave me odd things, that his family he told me had no interest in, the subject of T124X came up. Try as I may he would not disclose his service details, I fully understood that he was in the Merchant Navy, but he never made clear his close encounters with the Japanese. The fighting knife he gave me with the words "three times meant and two times did not like". I typed this to a label at the time so I would not forget.

The T124X agreement-contract was a Merchant Seamans service on Royal Navy Ships, not subject though to the Royal Navy Dicipline Act. T124X also I believe related to service with one ship only. I have recently found out that there are files available at our National Archives regarding T124X and later this year will see what I can discover.

My feeling is that my friend, who died several years ago, was connected to some quite odd experiences, perhaps of a Special Force nature. He was trained in un-armed Combat, also trained as a Naval Diver. He told me he had a partner that would accompany him on various jobs. It is possible he was involved with beach and soil samples prior to a landing, also he once mentioned the taking of prisoners for information, also prior to a landing.

Some of the photographs are quite interesting and one a puzzle. Mina, who was in the ATS, the first woman attached to T124X Sept '44, died in raid Nov '44. How and where could this be, ATS attached to the Navy and seemingly killed in action?

If any forum member has more information about T124X I will be most interested, also any thoughts about "Mina".

Regards, Clive.
    Attached Files

Complete Crew of T124X
    Attached Files

Comment

Ships "on X expedition"
      Attached Files

Comment

Mina first woman attached to T124X Sept '44. Died in raid Nov '44.
        Attached Files

Comment

Last Image - Handwritten note to back of Mina's photograph and was taken earlier in the same month she died.
          Attached Files

Comment

The was a Royal Canadian Navy officer who received the Military Cross for actions like these in Burma might of been part of the same organization or alike.

His job was collecting tide and soil samples on invasion beaches

I do not have his many handy but I might be able to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by seebee1 View Post
              Last Image - Handwritten note to back of Mina's photograph and was taken earlier in the same month she died.
              Officially ATS members did not go "into action" and it is very unlikely that she did.
              I suspect she died during an enemy AIR-RAID in 1944.

Comment

Thank you for the comments guys. Will be pleased to learn more about the Royal Canadian Naval Officer. Regarding Mina it is of course possible that she was killed in an air-raid. Certainly the ATS generally did not go into action, but is is a possibility. It is curious that someone from the ATS would be serving with T124X, perhaps a WREN would have been more likely, but this much depends on her role. I wonder if there are any casualty roles for ATS killed in November 1944? A few motre images to follow. With this posting captioned "Yorkie my X partner on Special Services Algiers 9 November 1942".
                Attached Files

Comment

My friend John on right and his X partner, Yorkie, centre.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Image captioned "Bofors Gun Crew wiped out on Sumatra X joint"
                    Attached Files

Comment

Final image for now captioned "Ken T124X underwater explosive expert. Shot by Japs on Kellatan coast survey August 1941".
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by seebee1 View Post
                        Shot by Japs on Kellatan coast survey August 1941".
                        Hi Clive, interesting story. But have you made a typo here in the date quoted?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

try

Clive .. try this, it might shed further light on T124x

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...&queryType=ALL

(Although I see you have already tried tapping the archive !!)

Gary J.

Comment

If there is an error it is not mine, copied from the rear of the image. It is possible my friend wrote the wrong date, but no way I can find out. Keen to know if there is a roster-data listing of ATS that were killed during the war, does anyone know? Regards, Clive.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Clive, given that we were not a war with Japan until Dec. '41, I would think it has to be a mistake, either that or the plot really thickens! Any idea where Kellatan actually is? I tried a search and nothing comes up?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X