FS Fighting Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS Fighting Knives

Just joined and thought I would have a go at posting some pictures. So here is my collection of British fighting knives. Any other collectors out there? I know a lot of you collect German militaria and I feel a bit in the minority
    Irv
    Attached Files

The first pattern with the 3 inch crossguard is one that Wilkinson Sword make now, an original would be to expensive for my pocket!

Comment

Some more. The V42 is the 1992 CASE model. And the right hand USMC stilleto is another CASE modern copy. All the rest are WW2.
      Attached Files

Comment

Some third patterns. All WW2.

Comment

Fs

Wonderful stuff..Do you have a copy of GET TOUGH....WFG

Comment

No, But I do have a copy of 'All in fighting' which is dated 1942 and was my father in-laws. The 1st pattern to the left of the 3 inch is his knife.

Comment

I dont know very much about these knives, but I like what I see
              That is a very comprehensive collection you have there.
              I know they were issued to Paratroopers and Commandos, but not much other than that.
              If you would like to post some information about them and the different models that would be brilliant.

Quite a lot of us collect Commonwealth, so your not alone

All the best

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

The knives to either side of the 3 inch crossguard are the 1st pattern 2 inch crossguard. They were introduced in early 1941 and are nickel plated grip and crossguards, the blades being hand ground and polished. By the spring of that year they started to make the process cheaper, as they were all hand made, by bringing in the 2nd pattern, which was nickel plated also but they made the crossguard straight and got rid of the square part at the top of the blade. All seems strange to see fighting knives that are shiney so by the late summer of 1941 they made them all blued. The only exception are the Wilkinson Sword privately bought knives that could be bought with a blued grip and crossguard and a polished blade. All these blade were still being hand ground which you can tell by the triangle shape at the top of the blade. This is there because the blades were thicker than the slot in the crossguard and therefore had to be ground flat to allow the blade tang to go through. In early 1943 the pattern changed again for ease of production and the 3rd pattern came out, This one had a cast grip, stamped out crossguard and machine ground blade. But you will find some of the early ones with hand ground blades, look for the triangle at the top of the blade to tell you it is hand ground. The grips were cast by one foundry and then supplied to the cutlers. It seems that apart from the blades all the other parts were made by other companies. If you want to know an original 3rd pattern from all the post war copies look for the small raised number at the top of the grip, it is just above the last ring and half an inch from the nut. It will be either a 1,2,3 or 4. This was cast into the grip at the foundry and was used as a quality control. If they found that a grip was casting wrong thay knew from the number which mould was playing up. The grip will also have the seems ground down on an original. Most of the 2nd and 3rd patterns blades will be 6 7/8 inch long. But you will find that the private Wilkinson Sword knives are often shorter. Why this is who knows. They say that these blades are seconds that got ground to short and they didn't want to waist them?? They will also say that the markings of a broad arrow and a 'B2' is a Wilkinson Sword knife?? Why I don't know, as Wilkinson were still putting their logo on the knives they made! That brings me onto the 3rd pattern Wilkinson etched knife. How many other collectors have one of these?? In all the years I have been collecting I have only seen four!
                I know I have left out loads, foregive me I'm tired! Give me a knife you want to know about and I will describe that one in detail.
                Irv
                Last edited by britpc; 05-13-2004, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Hi Irv,

You have a great collection of FS knives There are not many on the
                  forum who collect these but there are some. I bought my first FS almost
                  32 years ago. I have owned many over the years but now only have a few.
                  I think the thing that attracted me to the was their pure design. They are
                  not pretty or fancy or made to open c-rat cans or cut barbed wire. They
                  were made to do just one thing.
                  Here is a picture of some of my fighters. There is a 2nd and a some 3rds
                  and some other fighters and daggers. Most are US and British with some
                  German thrown in. Everything from ww1 to Vietnam. It all started when
                  I was 16 with a 3rd pattern FS.

Keep up the good work.
                  sincerely,
                  Greg
                  Attached Files

Comment

I am a medal collector and do not collect blades at all, but i can still apreciate the beauty of your displays.
                    They are very nice indeed!
                    Keep up the good work!

Mads

Comment

Get Tough

I have a couple of copies of GET TOUGH around the house some where can you use a copy..wfg
                      Originally posted by britpc
                      No, But I do have a copy of 'All in fighting' which is dated 1942 and was my father in-laws. The 1st pattern to the left of the 3 inch is his knife.

Comment

Hi Bill,

I would love a copy!! The copy of 'All in fighting' which was the British version that I have was given to my father in-law in 1942! He joined the Royal Marines in 1938 and went on to ships company. Came back to the UK in 1942 to do his commando training. He had a great carreer. Left in 1972!! How much do you want for the book?
                        Irv
                        Last edited by britpc; 05-09-2004, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Greg,

I have a few other odd that I put together. Just noticed your Mk 2 Gerber!
                          Irv
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some close up shots

Comment

and again
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X