Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two plus campaign shield photos?

Hi Everyone,

Just out of interest could anyone show some photos of two (or more?) campaign shields being worn. Something Ive never seen before.
    Thanks

2 and more shields

Hello,

The combination that you ask does certainly exist => if one encounters this rare combination it wil be normally the Krimshield and the Kubanshield worn togheter .

According towards my info there was a gebirgsjäger officer ( must look up the name ) involved in the Cholmbattle ( yes here we go again ) who had already the Narvikshield => so stricly taken this person could wear both the Cholmshield and the Narvikshield ( 1) if he survived the Cholmbattle !!!!! 2 ) if he lived long enough to receive the Cholmshield and 3 ) if he had pictures taken from him in his uniform , taking these 3 points into consideartion it is very unlikely that we ever see this combination !!! )

Im sure some members can show the first listed combo ( Krim & Kubanschield )

Cordial Greetings,
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

In theory it would be possible to see pictures of the Narvik shield and Lappland shield in wear in all 3 services. I understand from a friend that he has seen period photographs of the Lappland shield in wear, so although unlikely it must surely be possible. At least the award of the two is a certainty.

Regards

Simon
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hello
        I have already seen a period photo where a WH soldier wore 2 shields but I need to dig into my archives to find it again.
        The German authorities have considered the possibility to wear 3 shields (Hvbl 43, Teil B, n°114, 25/02/1943) : this text details how Armelschilder must be located when the recipient was awarded 3 of them :
        the Narvik one is located 7cm below the sewing of the shoulder, Cholm and Krim are located below the Narvik side by side, Cholm being on the left part. It is worth noting that the text specifically refers to the Narvik, Cholm and Krim shields since, at the publication date, only those existed. However, we might extapolate from this text to say that the first awarded shield is located at the top, below, on the left you will find the 2nd shield awarded...
        Regards
        Denis

Comment

Hi!
          If you look in the book "DIE DEUTSCHE WEHRMACHT Uniformierung und Ausruestung 1933 - 1945 Band 1, Das Heer" by Adolf Schlicht and John R. Angolia, there's a picture of a soldier with 2 shields. Its the german version of the Bender Publishing series.

Regards
          Paal
          Samba66.com

Comment

here is the photo from angolias book uniform and traditions of the german army by bender.regards manuel
            I hope it helps!
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone!

One more thing, Not related to this forum (But you guys look like you know your stuff!) How was it decided to awards a campaign shield insted of making a campaign medal? I mean, why didnt they make a Cholm Medal and a Russian Front (the german name has gone out of my head ) shield?

Thanks Again

Comment

Hi
                I would say that Cholm, Krim et al. were created under the form of a medal because Ärmelschilder were considered as Kampfabzeichen (i.e. Combat Badges) like IAB, PAB and so on. As such, Kampabzeichen were usually badges (with pin attachment) rather than a medal. An exception to this rule is Ärmelbander (Cuff Titles such as Kreta, Afrika..) which are also, if my memory serves me, considered as being Kampfabzeichen.
                Just my opinion
                Regards
                Denis

Comment

Interesting subject.....

.....concerning arm badges and sleevebands.

I have always thought that the bestowal of an armbadge (Narvik, Cholm, Krim, etal.) would designate participation, or service (not necessarily exclusively direct combat service) in a theater of operation ie: participation (for a specified length of time of course) in a particular campaign, or presented for very 'special' circumstances.

The Cholm armbadge and the Kurland sleeveband come to mind as examples of 'special' circumstances.

Regarding sleevebands (not individual unit sleevebands) specifically, would these not fit into the same category?

I would also hazard to speculate that technically, yes, one perhaps, could consider them combat awards as, after all, service in the military in time of war would fit into a 'generalized' condition of combat duty.

Just some thoughts.

--------------------

Bruce

Comment

Posted for Jacques;

"Here are some pics of 2 shilds beeing worn.
                    Demjansk - krim
                    Krim - Kuban
                    I don't know pics with a Narvik combination, but !!
                    I remember a pic showing G.GOLLOB with 2 arm shilds but I can't fint it anymore.
                    jacques"
                    Last edited by François SAEZ; 08-31-2008, 05:19 AM.
                    Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Hi
                            i found an other one with Narvik and Krim. I've to scan it.
                            For Gollob, I'm not sure! may be it's Nowotny!
                            jacques

Comment

Posted for Jacques

Hagemann

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X