Zimmermann Knights Cross - burned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zimmermann Knights Cross - burned

This is one of the Zimmermann Knights Crosses that were found last year in a burned out building in Germany. It is damaged, yes, but it still shows very much the quality of the manufacture and is another example of how nice the Zimmermanns really are.
    Attached Files
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

There is nearlu no damage to the silver frame itself. However, the core has substantial damage. Most of the paint is gone and rust has started to distort the numerals - but not to bad at all - considering where the cross was stored for the last 60 years.
    Attached Files
    B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

There are clear signs of heat exposure on the frame and the cross endured a temperature that was enough to melt the solder. After the heat was over, the cross was splitt open and the solder also cooled down.
      Attached Files
      B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

This shot clearly shows that the cross opened quite some time ago - one can see the rusting core inside.
        Attached Files
        B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

The loop is of the typical imperial style of Zimmermann and is unmarked.

Not the best of all Zimmermann's out there (Harry ) but still a nice example to study and with another set of history. Best to be left like it is.
          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

WOW Dietrich - makes me think of an RK in a burning Tiger...
            Marc

Comment

Hi Dietrich,

Interesting cross! I agree, leave it as is. Thankx for showing it! Harry`s cross is Top! Maybe he will show it again??!! PK also has a nice worn one.

E.

Comment

Dietrich, very nice. These are 100% original pieces. I owned one of these that came out of the burnt building, and I believe that mine was one of the nicest condition wise out of the 3 or 4 that were found. But, indeed they are rare maker RK...Cheers...Jeff
                Attached Files

Comment

Pic 2
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
                    Attached Files

Comment

Jeff, it's my understanding that there were more than just 3-4 found

Some with and without loops along with the Grand Crosses!

Not all were sold at the 1st offering and additional examples were again offered at a subsequent Show.
                      Regards,
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz
                        This shot clearly shows that the cross opened quite some time ago - one can see the rusting core inside.
                        Dietrich, the rust could easily set in instantly, no reason to think it started rusting a long while ago. If you take a piece of unfinished iron, wet it and instantly blow it dry with an air gun you will get visible surfsce rust.

Thanks for showing this! Can someone tell me more about this story with the fire and subsequent sales of these? Were they discovered because of the fire?

Best, Sal

Comment

zimmermnn rk,s are my dream cross
                          chay

Comment

I saw some pictures of the burnt Zimmermann that was re-conditioned (I wouldn't say restored) and I thought it was a bit of a shame it was touched at all as it ended up looking like one of those very late 1957 pattern RKs.

Comment

Where is this building? Iam free all day.
                              Iam Uncle Sam
                              That’s who Iam
                              Been hiding out
                              In a rock and roll band

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X