No announcement yet.

SS M43 cap in Italian Material for opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that the cap is good, just have a look at the lining, it seems to be a copy of the Itatlian HBT rayon lining, using the wrong materials...
    Best, Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by EiSVOGEL' View Post
      I don't think that the cap is good, just have a look at the lining, it seems to be a copy of the Itatlian HBT rayon lining, using the wrong materials...
      Best, Kevin

Have you seen a Berven - Padova made cap? To me the liner is totally legit for a cap made by them.

Of note, I have nothing to do with this cap I dont own it, I dont know the guy whos selling it or anything else.

Still to me its a perfect original cap, yes it is unusual but this was a war time maker and is pretty well known maker, if you know your WW 2 headgears... And yes they looks like this..

BR // Hasse

Comment

Here is one with HBT liner & Italian made insignia but no wooden buttons to compare with,

Chris
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 90th Light; 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Looking good or not ?,

Chris
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 90th Light; 09-11-2013, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Looking good or not ? number 2,

Chris
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 90th Light; 09-11-2013, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Looking good or not ? number3,

Chris
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 90th Light; 09-11-2013, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Comparing the two caps, there are a couple differences ???

Also the cap which started this is the first "Berven" that I have seen that has been dated 1944 ???

All the others that I have seen had had no dates in them,

Chris

Comment

Nice cap! (imo)

I have seen them 43 and 44 dated. No big issue for me. Chris im interested in your opinion.

Best regards!

Comment

Originally posted by Hasse.M View Post
                    Hi guys!

I see nothing wrong with this cap to be honest.

Looks like a Italian Berven - Padova made cap. I have seen several like this often with coastal artillery insignias. But sometimes with SS insignias as well.

The name tag inside this cap does not indicate it was used by the SS.

Nice cap! ( imo )
                    That is exactly what I am seeing !...a Berven - Padova made cap, so text book Italian made in Italian material...(shell in smooth Italian wool and proper Italian HBT liner)
                    Where are the red flags???

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                      That is exactly what I am seeing !...a Berven - Padova made cap, so text book Italian made in Italian material...(shell in smooth Italian wool and proper Italian HBT liner)
                      Where are the red flags???

Cheers
                      Lars

Comment

Thank you all for your kind opinions. If anyone has a spare Totenkopf that would be a good match to go on the front please let me know

Comment

Nice cap! (imo)

I have seen them 43 and 44 dated. No big issue for me. Chris im interested in your opinion.

Best regards!
                          Hello Hasse,

To be honest, I am not sure and do not want to say at this stage one way or the other. Thus I am researching "Berven - Padova" caps some more.

The thing I am looking for, is a 101% example with the double line of stitching at the top of the fold down flap. The cap which started this has a double line. Where as the original Berven - Padova cap that I have posted images of, only has a single line of stitching.

Your confirmation about some Berven - Padova having 1943 & 44 dates is very helpful.

I am also wondering if Berven - Padova is one company or a LAGO type of situation where the work was contracted/ sub-contracted out to various companies and cottage industries in the Padova region. If we have a LAGO or sub-contracted situation, then that would explain some of the variations in Berven - Padova products,

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris!

For me the construction of both caps is text book. Single stitching is earlier and double for later war manufactured caps. Also the material used for this caps is different, maybe because of higher density double stitching was prefered.

Anyway when a cap is made by Berven - Padova in correct material with typical lining, sewn in a correct way with the right markings. There is no need to go any further. (at least for me, but thats maybe just me?)

I have no idea if Berven - Padova is one company or a collection of companys.

But of course if you ever got to know the answer of your question please drop me a pm. Would be interesting to know!

BR // Hasse

Comment

Hi Chris!

For me the construction of both caps is text book. Single stitching is earlier and double for later war manufactured caps. Also the material used for this caps is different, maybe because of higher density double stitching was prefered.

Anyway when a cap is made by Berven - Padova in correct material with typical lining, sewn in a correct way with the right markings. There is no need to go any further. (at least for me, but thats maybe just me?)

I have no idea if Berven - Padova is one company or a collection of companys.

But of course if you ever got to know the answer of your question please drop me a pm. Would be interesting to know!

BR // Hasse

Thanks Hasse,

that makes sense. I have not had a lot of time to look into this today but the little bit more that I have been able to find out, confirms what you are saying.

I am very interested in "Berven-Padova" thus I am researching them. When I find out more, I will add more information to this thread.

The HBT in both caps appears to be the same except for the fact that it has been photographed in different lighting conditons. That type of HBT is 101% correct for some Berven caps and a few SS M43's made from Italian materials at that time.

Chris

Comment

Hi mates

Here are attached some pics of my Berven cap compared with one of my Italian greatcoat.
                                We can see that the materials of two items are absolutely the same, although those of the cap are more wear. The two lining are identical in color and material. Not always the Italian lining has been made in HBT, in late production rayon was more used.

here is an original document of the Italian maker dated 1943

Ciao
                                Marco

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X