Luftwaffe Award Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Award Radios

It's always been my understanding that these radios were "awards" within the Luftwaffe. For what, I have no idea. But, I've seen three different styles. So, I thought I'd post them up and see if anyone can add anything to them. I call them "briefcase", "suitcase" and "trunk". This relates to their relative size to each other. I'll start off with the smallest, the briefcase.
    Attached Files

With the door open for broadcast.
    Attached Files

Comment

The rear.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the "suitcase". Next larger size.
        Attached Files

Comment

This model is the most commonly encountered style by collectors today.
          Attached Files

Comment

The backside.
            Attached Files

Comment

By far the largest, the "trunk". Interesting feature about it that is unlike the others, the eagle on the front is a decal and not a stencil.
              Attached Files

Comment

This one is also in the poorest condition of the three. It is the only one that I've ever seen that is somewhat complete. It was missing its dial. So, I made a photo of the briefcase one and put it in the spot to make it at least look "complete". So, if anyone ever comes up with one of these in better condition, I'd be interested.

Also of note is another decal used on the interior. I at first thought it was a helmet decal. But it is facing in the wrong direction.
                Attached Files

Comment

The rear is missing on this one alone with several of the tubes.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here are all three radios one on top of the other. You can't really get a good judge of their relative sizes from the front as they are all about the same height. But, the "trunk" is at least 4 times as deep as the "briefcase."

If one of our document guys could either confirm or refute that these were "awards", I'd certainly appreciate any info that can be provided.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X