WSS Panzer Cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSS Panzer Cap?

This originally had the trapezoid on it, but I took it off as I could see from the inside that the cap had two holes at the front from badge fittings, with another lower down where something (like an SS button?) had been pushed through at the front seam & sewn in.
    There's no need to break it to me gently - about a week after I bought this thing as a kid 35 years ago I decided it was fake, hence the trapezoid removal, but I'm puzzled as to its origins - what was it converted from, or was it made up especially as a fake? Although very well amde it looked old & knackered 35 years ago, with the black fading to brown etc & the green piping stained black or vice versa. A metal vent was missing on each side, so I put two new ones in. It's dirty & sweatstained inside. The original colour of the material it's made from is turquoise, & it looks as though the thing was dyed black after construction. The name on the lozenge is "Alkero", I have an idea that I read many years ago that this name was used a lot on post war fakes. The skull on the trapezoid has a single row of teeth - is this a particular hallmark of a fake badge? Why would someone make the cap out of turquoise material with bright green piping & then "paint" it black, let alone stick metal badges on it & then replace them with the trapezoid, & all for the equivalent of less than $3. Film prop? Living history? They don't seem right somehow, but if there's one of these around then presumably there're more, & they're distinctive enough to be noticed & remembered. Is somebody going to tell me that it's an original that I've ruined by taking the trapezoid off??
    Attached Files

same Photo With "Instant Fix".

Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that thing is weird...It has the visor part of some period afrikakorp caps which is what I thought it originally was. It also looks to have yellow piping originally. I would assume the lowest hole was for the button? As for the rest, maybe an officer's cap where metal insignia was added? I want to say Afrika Korp but this is all giving me a headache.

Comment

Cancel the button theory, in looking at it a second time I see I was wrong...and god that skull looks cartoonish.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by panzerzacker
            Cancel the button theory, in looking at it a second time I see I was wrong...and god that skull looks cartoonish.
            The whole thing is weird - its original colour was turquoise, & the piping was a bright green which has soaked up the black dye which was applied after the cap was made. Originally, as a kid, I thought that it was a post war German army cap converted in some way, but turquoise? It is very well made, but why waste that effort to produce something turquoise?

Comment

\
              Attached Files

Comment

;
                Attached Files

Comment

/
                  Attached Files

Comment

In looking at those last shots...It's almost 100% post war. Looks like a Bundes cap because of the green grommets, don't know about the turqoise color (Navy perhaps). The soft plastic diamond inside should be a clue, should be more crunchy to be wartime and it appears to have a plastic band under the liner. I'm afraid there's no hope of this being original...but wear it to a military/gun show and sell it to somebody as a limited 1946 Nazi Wearwolf Salesman Sample piece picked up from a veteran's son (a penman with a faulty and extremely full black ink pen). The green represents ultra rare "Latrine" duty. I fear that's the only way you'd be able to sell it...

It is strange however, and I'd keep it just for that!

Comment

Would it originally have been worn with turquoise shell suits by a crack team of SS Panzer interior designers? Sell it? Had'nt crossed my mind, but I'm sure it'd e-bay for big money if I scribble in some fake unit markings & put a few bullet holes through it. I'm just baffled as to why it was produced in bright turquoise with bright green piping, that's more than a Friday afternoon job.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X