Guard post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guard post

Does anyone know the crest on the helmet over this guard post?
    Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files
    Esse Quam Videri

Serbian

Originally posted by John Hodgin
    Does anyone know the crest on the helmet over this guard post?
    Thanks,
    John
    Hi John,
    i think it's a serbian eagle (two head, a crown, and serbian had French Adrian helmet...)
    Herlé

Comment

Thanks Herlé,

I had thought perhaps French or Belgian, Serbian is very interesting.
      Regards,
      John
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Serbian eagle

Originally posted by John Hodgin
        Thanks Herlé,

I had thought perhaps French or Belgian, Serbian is very interesting.
        Regards,
        John
        Hi John,
        i'm not 100% sure but look:http://www.serb-art.com/serbart.html

Herlé

Comment

Yup, it is indeed Serbian-- any clue where this is or WHY there is an enormous helmet like that?

Comment

Hi ya Rick,

Good to see you are around Fj and still kicking!

Sadly, I know nothing of this photo except it came with the group of photos I posted in the thread "Somewhere in the East." But I do consider Serbia somewhere in the east, don't you? I would suppose the giant helmet was part of a Serbian military base.

Thanks again Herlé
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I don't concur with the Serbian identification. Many nations used the two-headed eagle motif, including Hungary among others. If you blow up the crest on the helmet 400 or 500 percent, the shield on the chest of the two-headed eagle is not the same as the Serbian design, today or during World War II. Under extreme magnification, it appears to show a Christian cross on the left, and a wolf howling at the moon on the right. This corresponds to no European state heraldry that I know of. However, every city and town in France has its own coat of arms, for example; the coat of arms on the helmet may not even be a national-level design, but could be regional, provincial, or even that of an individual town. In short, a fascinating photo, but I think the correct identification is still out there somewhere.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris]it appears to show a Christian cross on the left, and a wolf howling at the moon on the right.

Well Chris, I can see the off center Cross on the left, but how you can tell that is a wolf howling at the moon eludes me. To quote one of my art directors, "your drugs are better than mine..."

Here is a detail.
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

photo

I attached it, honest...
                  Attached Files
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Well, Chris is right from your enlargement for the rest of us, John. Must be nice having bionic satellite technology!

Question remains: as the front plate on a helmet, that should indicate nationality and/or branch of service.

Adrians were in use in: Belgium, France, Italy (replaced by new pattern), Serbia, Rumania (replaced by "Dutch" pattern), and Tsarist Russia.

Of these, the sole double headed royal eagles were Serbia and Tsarist Russia. Certainly impossible for it to be the latter.

Comment

John, pass those drugs to me when you are finished with them.....

I agree with Chris in regards to it being something more local.......

Willi
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Rick--
                        Why don't you think it could be a Czarist Russian eagle? That would have been my first guess. I didn't think the Serbs used helmet plates as the Russians did during WWI?

I doubt that this would be in Russia but then I wondered if it wasn't in France, near where the Russian troops fighting on the French lines were stationed.

PS

Comment

I look it up in my coin collection! The arm could be from the former Kingdom of Yogoslavia who was proclaimed the 3 October 1929 and until Marshal Tito took power after II Ww and abolished the Kingdom.

The left side are a cross and the rigth side a pattern of something simillar to the croatians arm's.

It's not from all the above mentioned countries. Serbia etc. It could maybe be from a City.

Regards
                          Kim

Comment

The coat of arms is not Serbian, but of the Serbe-Croatian-Slovene
                            kingdom (Karageorgevic Royal Family) that on 1929 became Jugoslavia.
                            Cheers, PaoloM

Comment

Below, Serbian 1916 Adrian badge:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X