Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windhund Badge - Please Take A Look!

Hi Everybody,

Whilst I know what this is, this is the first I've had in hand. The first thing that strikes me about it, is the condition: a few paint flakes aside it is near perfect (perhaps a cause for concern).

Is this the accepted version of the Windhund badge?

Thanks and best regards,
    Toby.
    Attached Files

Reverse:
    Attached Files

Comment

100% original.

Peter v L
      www.military-antiques-stockholm.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peter v L
        100% original.

Peter v L
        It looks good to me. I have 3 variations of the badge, two I'm 100% sure of and one "that probably is okay". Here are some pictures for comparison.

Heres a shot of all 3. The top two I'm sure of. The bottom one is slightly larger than the other two.

Heres a shot of the backs.

Heres a close up of a textbook example.This one used to belong to Mike Pruett and was used in his book on Panzer Uniforms.

This ones identical to the textbook example except it never had the back clips.

This is the one i'm not 100% positive about. The detailing is crisp and its nicely aged, which leads me to believe its real.However I could be wrong.

Attached Files

Comment

Peter, Jim, Thanks for replying.

@ Jim - Very interesting to see several examples. Although, my experience with these badges is somewhat fresh. I, as you, feel your third example, looks to be period.

Best regards,
          Toby.

Comment

One of mine,

Front side.
            Attached Files

Comment

The rear, i have another used one, will take some pics of it when I can.
              S

Comment

The picture
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

That´s my "Windhund" sidecap:

Regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

If my memory serves me well, the tips (2) are the details of the dog collar and the grass.

Vets ones are without (I believe) clips on the back, but original are known with holes as the clips are/were fragiles
                    Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Originally posted by François SAEZ
                      If my memory serves me well, the tips (2) are the details of the dog collar and the grass.

Vets ones are without (I believe) clips on the back, but original are known with holes as the clips are/were fragiles
                      Hi Francois,

There was a very good article on the Windhund cap badge in MILITARIA Magazine. Your correct that originals were made with the clips on the back and that these clips tended to break so holes were drilled. The badges put out by the Vet association were aluminum and lacked the clips and lacked details. The best known fakes were made from zinc using an original badge to make the mold/die. They were smaller then the original and also lacked the clips.

The one I show with the holes is exact in every detail to my textbook example except it lacked the clips. I can see no indication where it had clips. Strangely enough I found it among a large binder of Vet association insignia. It stuck out like a sore thumb. I suspect it may have been an unfinished badge that was later used within the vet association. Regards jim

Comment

Hello Toby ,

Your badge looks exaclty like the ones the re-enactment asociation i was in got off Nicholas Morigi , i was told he did a limited run for us and later sold them in his catalogue . Can anyone else confirm this ?

Bob Young can you add anything ?

Comment

Hi Grant,

That's very curious. Mine is the same as that shown by Panzerpioniere. Also, I know Peter (VL) has one the same on his site.

Any other thoughts on this?

Best regards,
                          Toby.

Comment

Hi Guys,

have about 2 seconds to squeeze an answer in here. The article in 'Militaria' that Jim reffered to was in the July 1994 edition of the English language version. It showed the two badges below which came from 116th veterans (one with the owner's soldbuch):

There were a batch of these badges found a few years ago in some museum stock, some still on the original cards from the factory. I had a couple and sold one on the card. This is the type Peter has on site. The pins should be from one single length of brass, ...which are in turn bent at the ends to make the prongs( pointed at the ends and quite stiff)....the back is always painted that very light grey. Unless it shows signs of having a removed or broken off pin one must regard any with the drilled holes in the sides as post war made either for collectors or for the veteran's association. But there are cases of the original badges looosing their pins and being used with sew-in holes. But there will be evidence of the previous pin fitting.

I have not seen the Morigi badges but would question the need to have the original pin setup at the back and the backing paint...Not something required by a reenactor.
                            Cheers, Wade K.

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer
                              Hi Guys,

have about 2 seconds to squeeze an answer in here. The article in 'Militaria' that Jim reffered to was in the July 1994 edition of the English language version. It showed the two badges below which came from 116th veterans (one with the owner's soldbuch):

There were a batch of these badges found a few years ago in some museum stock, some still on the original cards from the factory. I had a couple and sold one on the card. This is the type Peter has on site. The pins should be from one single length of brass, ...which are in turn bent at the ends to make the prongs( pointed at the ends and quite stiff)....the back is always painted that very light grey. Unless it shows signs of having a removed or broken off pin one must regard any with the drilled holes in the sides as post war made either for collectors or for the veteran's association. But there are cases of the original badges looosing their pins and being used with sew-in holes. But there will be evidence of the previous pin fitting.

I have not seen the Morigi badges but would question the need to have the original pin setup at the back and the backing paint...Not something required by a reenactor.
                              Cheers, Wade K.
                              Hi Wade,

I went out and checked a 116 re enactment site and a badge similar to the one shown at the start was used on the title page.was too small to make any judgements.I also found the Morigi site but there weren't any badges for sale. It did make me do a comparison of the badge shown at top vs mine and the one in militaria magazine.

Now the militaria magazine said the badges were done in zinc and measured 30 x 21mm. The one I got from Mike plus the sew in one meet these standards. The badge starting this thread doesn't appear to be zinc.No measurements are given.

Here is a comparison of Pieters badge, the militaria mag and the one I got from Mike. Its hard to see but there are differences. I'll let the readers make their own assessments.

Heres a comparison of the heads-
                              top Left Pieters top right Militaria Mag
                              bottom left mine from Mike Bottom right my sew in

Comparison of the grass=from top to bottom-Pieters, Militaria Mag, Mine from mike, my sew in

I also compared the one I own that I'm not 100% sure of to the militaria mag and Pieters device.Top is Pieters, Middle from the mag and the bottom one is the one I'm not 100% sure of.

regards Jim
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by djpool; 10-14-2004, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X