Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese WWII Tabi Shoes

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone can tell me if these are period WWII or mybe post WWII. Everything indicates WWII but wanted some opinions. Any help with translation is greatfull too. Mahalo, David.
    Attached Files

inside size marking
    Attached Files

Comment

sole markings.
      Attached Files

Comment

looks to be post war the "made in Japan" was used after to the war and pre war was nippon to my knowledge. My tabis have rising sun in an oval on the soles and the metal tabs have rising suns also with royal blue lining I'm told they are still used to this day and about the same as ww2 ...nice helmet in the background..

Comment

One of the very first threads on the Japanese forum was on these. I don't think the "Made in Japan" is the nail in the WWII coffin. I have one pair that were brought back from the Pacific marked the same way and member Nutmeg has an identical pair (same markings) that were brought back from Guadalcanal. Post-war items were marked Made in Occupied Japan for quite some time and if these were post war I'd tend to think they'd have been made during the time period this designation was used.

Did these come from a nice little old lady from down south by any chance?

eric

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
            One of the very first threads on the Japanese forum was on these. I don't think the "Made in Japan" is the nail in the WWII coffin. I have one pair that were brought back from the Pacific marked the same way and member Nutmeg has an identical pair (same markings) that were brought back from Guadalcanal. Post-war items were marked Made in Occupied Japan for quite some time and if these were post war I'd tend to think they'd have been made during the time period this designation was used.

Did these come from a nice little old lady from down south by any chance?

eric
            Hi Eric,
            yes these are from that nice little lady from down south. I have been looking for a pair of these rounded ones for a while. In person you can tell these are WWII, but the Made in Japan kinda threw me off. Makes me feel better that there are others out there directly from vets that are marked the same way. Thanks much, David.

Comment

The company that made this has changed names quite often and the name shown on the tabi was one used between 1939 and 1949. The brand is known as Moon Star now since July 2006.

Comment

NLF cover

Last edited by Banzi64; 02-24-2008, 10:09 AM.

Comment

She had rotten pictures but some very nice items
                  I picked up a beautiful pair of boots and cap.

Nick, once again I'm a bit floored by your knowledge! That's a huge help for now and the future.

eric

Comment

They're good!

Tunnelrat, I have a pair identical to these that were sent back in a box with other stuff around early 44 from the pacific. Mine did not come from postwar Japan. Don't let that made in Japan bother you. Your shoes look fine and are harder to find than the split toes. Nice find- Goforbroke

Comment

Aloha, thanks to all that assisted me here. I have again learned something new as im sure everyone else has. Its a great addition to my collection. Mahalo, David.

Comment

Hi

So these are without a doubt WWII era? I see some posts here saying the "Made in Japan" makes them postwar, and other posts saying that isn't the rule with these. I have a pair of this type.

Comment

Maybe it's just me? But I can't get past the idea that a GI would pick up a pair of smelly old boots from the battle field to take home as a souvenir?

IMHO post war.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by nomadr View Post
                            Maybe it's just me? But I can't get past the idea that a GI would pick up a pair of smelly old boots from the battle field to take home as a souvenir?

Bob
                            One of the truly great characteristics of The U.S. G.I. Bob. So much great history survives because of that.

Regards, Rod

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X