stalingrad photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stalingrad photos

Does anybody have any stalingrad photos they would care to share?

I've trawled the internet but can't seem to find much....just a few cliche ones....

would be interesting to see some different ones if anybody has any.

Not sure but I would think they would be extremely rare. Right up there with photos of the Mussolini rescue. Stalingrad was the most hellish place on earth from what I read. As you might have seen on my other post, when I did alot of research for my senior seminar at FSU on WWII, I read accounts that dogs and other animals could often be seen trying to swim across the Volga river to escape the horrible hell-hole of a city. I can't think of any other time that a dog would voluntarily swim that far wide of a body of water, no way. So I'd think photos would be few. Who would be taking photos? Maybe alot of photos of after the surrender of Gen. Paulus?

Comment

yes, super rare to find Stalingrad private snapshots. They only really made it out of the Kessel with the wounded troops. I would love to see any people have also.

Comment

jmark's book has some great Stalingrad photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Hoth View Post
          Not sure but I would think they would be extremely rare. Right up there with photos of the Mussolini rescue. Stalingrad was the most hellish place on earth from what I read. As you might have seen on my other post, when I did alot of research for my senior seminar at FSU on WWII, I read accounts that dogs and other animals could often be seen trying to swim across the Volga river to escape the horrible hell-hole of a city. I can't think of any other time that a dog would voluntarily swim that far wide of a body of water, no way. So I'd think photos would be few. Who would be taking photos? Maybe alot of photos of after the surrender of Gen. Paulus?

aye it was that description of the dogs swimming away that got me thinking about stalingrad photos.

You're probably right, who would be taking photos?? maybe there are some from the start of the campaign when the germans were reasonabley successful but probably very few when the army had been encircled and were going thru that hell.

Still, you never know......there could've been a wounded guy with a camera that made it out...unlikley but you never know.....

Comment

Originally posted by K98_man View Post
            jmark's book has some great Stalingrad photos.

what book's this?

Comment

You might try Russ schulke's site. He has a large number albums and photos from both sides of the conflict.

http://www.fireonthevolga.com/

Comment

Stalingrad is a big battle fought over a five month period, so the availability of photos depends upon which month you're talking about. Quite a few were taken in September and that number steadily declined until early January. The latest photo I have found personally is the one below. It was taken on 7 January 1943 and shows the officers from the staff of Panzerpionier-Bataillon 50. This photo was also used in my last book.

If anyone's interested, I can post some other photos from my collection taken during various stages of the battle.

Jason
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's another one from mid-October 1942, taken by a soldier of Pionier-Bataillon 305. The assault gun is from Stug.Abt.244. The guns were helping the pioneers and infantry of 305. Infanterie-Division clear out the worker's settlement west of the Tractor Factory. Photo is from 15 October 1942.

- - -
                  Attached Files

Comment

tremendous pics Jason, please post more. I will have to get your books.

Comment

OK, here's another one. This time a soldier from 305. Infanterie-Division poses atop one of the several dozen T-34 chassis parked in the loading yard of the Stalingrad Tractor Factory. Date: second half of October 1942.

- - -
                      Attached Files

Comment

Next, a headquarters section of a company from Infanterie-Regiment 577 huddle in a ditch alongside the railway line just north of the Barrikady Gun Factory. Photo taken on 16 October 1942.

- - -
                        Attached Files

Comment

Jason-

INCREDIBLE photos If you have more, by all means please do share them with us!

Thanks,
                          Rob

Comment

Generaloberst Friedrich Paulus (OB 6. Armee) talks with two of his assault gun battalion commanders. From left: Major Paul Gloger (Kdr. Stug.Abt.244), Paulus, Major Hans Zielesch (Kdr. Stug.Abt.245). This photo was taken 21 or 22 October 1942 when the final details were being sorted out for the assault of 79. Infanterie-Division against the Krasny Oktyabr factory, which would take place the next day (23 October).

- - -
                            Attached Files

Comment

Generalmajor Richard von Schwerin, Kdr. 79. Infanterie-Division, observes his division's assault on the Krasny Oktyabr factory on 23 October 1942 from his OP on a hill on Stalingrad's western outskirts. From left: Oberst i.G. Helmuth Strempel (Ia), Generalmajor von Schwerin, Major Fritz Hildebrandt (Ic).

- - -
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by jmark; 03-30-2007, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X