Destroyer Badge by Souval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroyer Badge by Souval

I have this Destroyer Badge by Souval that I assumed to be a reproduction. Always tricky with Souval pieces at the best of times. I than found a twin on Jamie Cross's site. The cast marks on the back are exactly the same. Now his badge seems to have more wear than the one I have listed so maybe his is period and mine is not, but my question is this:

Is my badge potentially authentic or is his in question as well? I have never dealt with his site and I am not about to trash him in anyway. But these badges are so close and I am curious what you guys think about them.

Mine is the photo shown first.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

In my opinion, these are the final wartime production that were die cast. You can clearly see the ehector marks. I have one that I have owned and believe it to be wartime.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

In my opinion with the very late, close to post war catch plate very differcult to tell. All the best

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
        In my opinion, these are the final wartime production that were die cast. You can clearly see the ehector marks. I have one that I have owned and believe it to be wartime.

Bob Hritz
        Just for my own education, where are the ejector marks exactly?

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

Those three circles, on the reverse ,are from the ejectors of the die . The badge is ejected, from the die, when the ejector pins are extended as the die is opened. This is commonly done when the use of die injection molding is done. It is also visible on the reverse of the late-war Assmann paratroop badges.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
            Those three circles, on the reverse ,are from the ejectors of the die . The badge is ejected, from the die, when the ejector pins are extended as the die is opened. This is commonly done when the use of die injection molding is done. It is also visible on the reverse of the late-war Assmann paratroop badges.

Bob Hritz
            Hi Bob,

But I'm confused. On my monitor it looks like those 3 circles are in relief. If ejector pins are extended through the die to push out the badge would that not make circular indentations instead?

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
              Hi Bob,

But I'm confused. On my monitor it looks like those 3 circles are in relief. If ejector pins are extended through the die to push out the badge would that not make circular indentations instead?

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Oh, I think I get it. I imagine on the reverse form there would be these cylindrical indentations because the ejector pins are not absolutely flush with surface. The liquid zinc would flow into these areas causing the raised circles. The zinc would be fully solid by the time the ejector pins push it out of the form.

Cheers.
              ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X