SA Sports Armband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Sports Armband

This is my last armband. This is the SA Sports Armband. This one also has the RZM tag and is a really nice design in my opinion...

any comments appreciated.

Thank you,
    Scott

There is no such thing as a S A sports armband. This item has been misidentified for many years. It is for the S A Wehrmannschaft. A genuine period piece.

Comment

Great stuff Bob! Thank you for the information and reply.. You are 100% correct and this is what I found on it! Ref: www.e-militaria.com

Thank you, Scott

"These armbands have been incorrectly identified as "SA Sports Armbands" for over 50 years. They were in fact designed for the Wehrmannschaft but evidently rarely if ever used. They are usually found unissued.

These armbands have been incorrectly identified as "SA Sports Armbands" for over 50 years. They were in fact designed for the Wehrmannschaft but evidently rarely if ever used. They are usually found unissued.

In 1939 Adolf Hitler created the Storm Troopers Military Training Defense Group (SA-Wehrmannschaft) to add to the men who were being trained for service in the German Armed Forces (Wehrmacht). The mission of the SA Wehrmannschaft was to provide military training to SA members so they could serve in the Wehrmacht. The initial training consisted of standard military exercises done for a period of one to three weeks. Upon completion of this program members were expected to serve at least two evenings per week and six hours on Sunday. The SA Wehrmannschaft also trained those men who were rejected from regular military service as a result of being unfit for duty. "

Comment

Comment

We've all seen these armbands for decades -- I've owned one for over 20 years myself, and it is also unissued. I've long hoped to see at least one period photo of someone wearing one of these, but have yet to achieve that goal!

Br. James

Comment

Thank you Okkultist and Br. James... I love this forum. We learn something new everyday on here. I knew very little about this armband until now. I like it even more now. I suppose S A Wehrmannschaft were wearing another armband or something at the time???

Thank you,Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
              We've all seen these armbands for decades -- I've owned one for over 20 years myself, and it is also unissued. I've long hoped to see at least one period photo of someone wearing one of these, but have yet to achieve that goal!

Br. James
              Agreed.

Considering how common they are, one would think they would be seen in photographs.

I would think it would be a good propoganda exercise to show men being trained to the masses.

Obviously not!

Regards,
              Chris.

Comment

I have seen 100's of these over the years. Never have I encountered one that was worn. It was likely designed for wear with civilian clothing. Possibly the manpower demand for the war effort made this obsolete before ever being issued. Every photo I have ever seen of S A Wehrmannschaft in uniform shows them wearing the standard political kampfbinde.

Comment

Dear Bob

I do not think that any of us has ever seen a period image of this armband in wear. As such, it perhaps begs the question - how do we know that this armband is attributed to the SA-Wehrmannschaften? Perhaps a 1939 or onward publication which either states or illustrates the point? I cannot recall the SA-Wehrmannschaften having their own organisation specific emblem, although they did of course have their own rather splendid belt buckle. Here we do have a period image of the buckle in wear. Not so the armband and I wonder why a newly formed organisation should adopt as their armband, one with a sports emblem dating I think from 1933. The odd period images of the SA-Wehrmannschaften uniforms that I have seen, have no armband whatsoever.

I just wondered why we could be so confident that this armband is a pre 1945 item and attributed to the SA-Wehrmannschaften?

Regards,

David

Comment

You make a valid point. Although, these armbands have all the hallmarks of period construction, there are too many vet bring backs to be post 1945, I have 2 of these, one is direct from a vet estate which came with some other period bring backs, he in particular took his from a large box of these found in stores in Ulm, the rest of his platoon helped themselves also, theses are 100% pre 45,Sean

Comment

Sean makes a valid point. Over the years, I have obtained numerous examples of this piece directly from veterans. If these were intended for wear on civilian clothing, if ever issued, the chance of encountering a period photograph would be difficult. There is also a period made armband for RAD officers in brown with an eagle holding a spade in it's talons. It was also likely intended for wear with civilian clothing and to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever turned up a picture of it in wear either. I believe the subject of this thread was designed, manufactured and never issued for some reason.

Comment

The RAD version is for "Führer vom Dienst". I have never seen it in wear, nor have I ever seen it in a regulation mentioned. With the same symbol, which also was worn upon the shoulder-boards of Hierl, a gorget existed. That;s for sure!

Comment

Dear Sean, Bob and Wilhelm

Many thanks for your comments, although and without wishing to be like the proverbial dog with a bone, again:-

"...how do we know that this armband is attributed to the SA-Wehrmannschaften? Perhaps a 1939 or onward publication which either states or illustrates the point?...".

I for one would be very interested to know.

Regards,

David

Comment

Hello David,

when I have more time I will see if I can find again a small note for the brassard with Sportabzeichen. I have once read (maybe ten or more years ago) about it in an older document, but can't remember where I have seen it. In the note it was said by who such brassard was to be used. When I can find it again........and that's the question. I really do not know anymore in what old book or document I have read it. The search will be looking for a needle in a haystack!

What I know "out of heart" is that the woven SA sports-badge was allowed to be worn upon the left side with the sports-dress and training-dress.
                            Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, friends -- glad to know I'm not the only one who'd like to see some period reference, and especially pix, for this unique brassard.

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X