EK I S&L Opinions - Post War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK I S&L Opinions - Post War?

I think that this S&L EK I is a post war produced item. It is marked with a 4.

I have compared it to one that was on estand yesterday and war time produced
    crosses shown on this site.

Am I correct?

Opinions please.

Thanks,

Wayne
    Attached Files

What concerns you? The hinge?
    George

Comment

The hinge, pin and catch. The other s&l I've seen have a totally different setup.

Wayne

Comment

Yes they do. But I consider this variant to be wartime. (I don't think that a manufacturer would mark an illegally made post-1945 EK with its PKZ number, thus indicating that it was breaking the law.)
        George

Comment

Here is the sales thread.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=438868

Wayne

Comment

Well, if he thinks it's post-war, then he thinks it's post-war. What can I say? (It would be nice for him to explain why he thinks it's post-war....)
            George

Comment

I was going to buy that piece, but then noticed he was only shipping within the EU. Told him I would still buy if he would ship to the U.S., but didn't hear back. Someone, I think, got a deal.

Comment

I pm'd him yesterday asking the very same question.

Response was the pin setup and the gloss of the paint.

Wayne

Comment

Thanks for your input George. Maybe Streptile(Trevor) could shed somemore
                  light on this.

Wayne

Comment

I still believe these variants to be wartime, for the reason I stated above. Unless there is some evidence (or logic) behind the reason for it being post-war being because of "the pin setup and the gloss of the paint" then the simple statement of "fact" is not enough for me.
                    George

Comment

I contacted the dealer I originally purchased this item from. He has no problem
                      taking it back. I don't really want to send it back. So I'll wait and see what other
                      comments I can drum up.

Wayne

Comment

I'd like to see other comments too.
                        George

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but here is an S&L EKI (screwback) which is original to this vet acquired tunic. Note the paint.
                          Attached Files

Comment

To me the only determining factor regarding paint would be if a chemical analysis showed it to be of definite post-war manufacture. Glossiness, thickness, flakiness -- all of these paint characteristics are too variable (and unknown as to what maker used or did what) to be legitimate determiners.
                            George

Comment

Looks like I might have opened up a can of worms here.

Your comments are appreciated.

Wayne

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X