Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight's Cross of the War Merit Cross in Silver with out Swords

Hi folks,
    I want to share this neck decoration with you. This story is wild but true. I got this piece back in 1980 when I was 15 years old (I am now 38). This piece came from a friend whose brother worked at a trash burning plant in Tucson, AZ. This piece was in a suitcase destined to be incenerated. The suitcase broke open at the last moment and this and other 3rd Reich goodies fell out. The items were retrieved and I ended up getting them a few days later. My mother ended up paying the man $1,500 for all of the items in the case. My mother was in the antique business and knew a good deal and also wanted me to have these items.

It turned out the items came from a GI(from an address and phone number in the case) who was a translator and G-2 officer attached to SHAEF. Well this man died and his wife tossed out all of his stuff. The women said there was three suitcases full of stuff, and only one case was saved.

I still try to imagine what was destroyed. I will try to show images of the Zimmermann DKs in silver and gold which were also rescued and are also in my collection.

I hope you enjoy this 100% original Deschler piece.
    Regards,
    Jody

Here is the old thread from four years ago on how I aquired my RK of the KvK. Chris Jenkins thought it would be interesting for new forum members to read it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jody Beltram; 03-28-2007, 02:48 PM.

KvK

Another View. Look at the wear marks on the reverse. You can see that this cross was worn.
    Jody
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jody Beltram; 06-22-2006, 11:45 AM.

Comment

KvK

Another view with my other RK. I really love the ribbon on this piece and you can tell this piece was worn. Look how the ribbon is sewn in the middle near the medal loop.
      Jody
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jody Beltram; 06-22-2006, 11:44 AM.

Comment

KvK

View of the Deschler hallmark. The hallmark on this decoration is faint, but it is clearly hallmarked 1 900. Please notice the wear to the bottom of the cross arm.
        Regards,
        Jody
        Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful Jody, absolutely beautiful!

Comment

To think that this beautiful and rare order would have been destroyed forever. The Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross is really a unnoticed award, much rarer than the RK of the Iron Cross yet worth so much less currently in dollars. Expect to see prices of these rise drastically over the next few years.

“Sigh”
            If only these pieces could talk.

Comment

just lovely! You must feel so lucky
              Antti

Comment

Jody,
                That is avery nice piece and a great story to boot! I really love these crosses from an aesthetic stand point. One of their better designs. I have always felt that they didn't want the basic Spanish Cross design to be wasted on so few pieces so they rolled it over to the war service cross ( just my own theory ). Thank you for sharing this with us.
                Mike C.

Comment

Great

Great picture and story....and what a wonderfull piece. The RK to KVK is a very under rated decoration.
                  Nice to see !

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Try putting that story on ebay, are has it already been done

No really nice cross, you yanks have all the luck

Cheers
                    Phil

Comment

Silver DK

Hi guys,
                      Thanks for the kind words. Here is a silver DK by Zimmerman from the same suitcase. I will try to get better scans of the DK for you. The cross is near mint. I have always wondered if the cross and neck decoration belonged to the same individual.
                      Regards,
                      Jody
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Jody Beltram; 06-22-2006, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Great items. Great story!

If I remember correctly, the Knight's Cross variety of this award was instituted at the insistence (prodding) of Albert Speer for top industrialists who excelled in helping him meet (exceed) his war production goals.

Speer mentions it in his memoirs, I believe.
                        -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

I am SOOOOOOOO jealous,truely excellent and what a story.

I just wonder whats in peoples attic's both sides of the Atlantic.

My Dad was in the Royal Air Force just post to WW11,he flew C-47's from Hendon in London with a transport squadron.

He can remember in Berlin and Italy all the Americans getting all sorts of things!And being clever enough to it hide well.

Dad brought back a few bits but had them confiscated by RAF customs.He brought them back with the intention of selling them so it makes no difference to me.

Just makes you wonder!

Kind regards,

Marcus

PS I'm not implying anything when Dad says he can remember the Americans......I got as much as could in Saudi,Bosnia and Kosovo.

Comment

One in wear.

I am fairly certain that this picture is from the conference at which Speer informed the manufacturers that, basically, Goering was out and he was in; hence the smug visages all round. Note the proliferation of "Gold Party Badges". Now, these are some scary Nazis.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Ralph A; 04-26-2003, 08:23 AM.
                            -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

As a matter of fact,

these pieces were so rarely awarded that your odds aren't that bad that the one in the Speer picture and Jody's are one and the same.

Better odds than you'd get in Vegas.

Nice piece, Jody. Sorry to hijack your thread Did you say you had more pieces to share?

BTW I understand the silver DKiG was a civilian (or non-combatant) award? So your question is a good one... interesting to surmise. If someone could ID the gent in the pic and see if he was a recipient of the same, then that would be really interesting.
                              -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X