Punjab Medal 1849

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Punjab Medal 1849

This is the Punjab Medal of 1849, which was awarded to participants who fought against the Sikhs in the Second Sikh War of 1848. Basically, Johnny Sikh - still smarting from the drubbing he got at Sobraon in 1846 - tries it on again.

A fracas at Moolatan was followed by a right old kicking at Chillianwala, where the 24th Foot got virtually annihilated (and a repeat performance thirty years later). Despite odds of 30-40,000 Sikhs against 12,000 of General Gough's men, the old bugger still managed to pull off a victory - with appalling losses.

The final punch up was at Goojerat, with 60,000 Sikhs & Afghans versus Gough's 24,000 reinforced army. Needless to say, Johnny Foreigner got a total pasting, the Sikhs joined the British Indian Army, and it was all Pimms & Cricket henceforth. The Afghans, however, remained a pain in the arse - and still are to this very day! Chin chin!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tony Farrell; 12-19-2004, 12:48 AM.

She's a beauty! Nice medal, Tony.

Comment

I thought I'd resurrect this thread in light of Chris's posting on the Indian Army parade thread. A nice looking gong that was awarded during a very turbulent period of history.
      Last edited by Tony Farrell; 02-22-2004, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Yes, and a shame -- though understandable -- that there was no Punjab medal for the same campaign. The imagery of that one might have told a different tale. I have recently learned that a campaign medal was contemplated for the First Punjab War (for which the British issued the "Sutlej Medal"), but never developed (showing the weakness of the Sikh Kingdom, making it liable to invasion and annexation in the Second Punjab War).

Ed Haynes

Comment

I'm rather confused by this! Who contemplated issuing a medal? The Sikhs? I know the Sutlej & Punjab Medals pretty much go hand-in-hand, as the Second Sikh War was an extension of the first one really. I'm surprised the HEIC bothered with a seperate medal for it.
          Last edited by Tony Farrell; 12-19-2004, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Yes, it was the Sikh Kingdom of the Punjab ("the enemy" as far as the Brits were concerned) considered a campaign medal. They already had some medals and three (is my memory serving me faithfully here?) multi-classed orders.

Both British medals were, of course, not "crown" issues, but awarded by the East India Company (and we thing we have powerful multinational corporations these days!).

The Sutlej Medal (First Punjab War) is fascinating as it represents a transitional medal from the earlier "one-medal-per-battle" style (look at the First Afghan War medals!) to the more mature "one-campaign-medal-with-clasps-for-battles" model that was softened toward the end of the 19th century and has been junked in recent decades. The First Punjab War medal was, simply, too expensive, and this was a major reason for the shift in vocabulary for the Second Punjab War.

Ed Haynes

Comment

I never realised that the Sikh kingdom had its own medals & orders - French influence perhaps? And I suppose John Company was being rational with a 'new' issue - what with the Sutlej having different exergues. I would post an image of a Sutlej, but... erm... I haven't got one. I'm still looking for a 'sensibly' priced one.

Comment

Yes, Punjab had its own awards. While these was substantial French role in shaping the structure the awards took (both physical and in terms of classes -- LofH as the model!), the records are less than clear whose idea it actually was:

Order of Ranjit Singh
                Order of the Auspicious Star of the Punjab
                and a couple of campaign medals

(Working, without a net, from memory -- let me rummage about in notes.)

(Will also try to find images to post.)

I, too, am without Sutlej. Haven't seen one to an Indian recently. And prices into the obscene range. Second Punjab are pretty common, but few nice Indian awards.

Ed Haynes

Comment

Are you researching these early recipients, Tony? Is that still possible/not insanely expensive?

I always used to be fascinated 20-30 years back with xeroxed records accompanying Victorian medals like your newest prize... things like 23 years in, ever the private, 14 courtmartials for this and that, hideous wounds, etc etc....

Can you even tell if your soldier survived all that, or if this was a posthumous medal?

Comment

This particular medal to a Sepoy in the 20th Bengal Native Infantry. And whilst it isn't my 'newest prize', I haven't even considered researching the medal. I have done so for others (British recipients) - but not many. I really don't have that much time to spare going through parish records as such, so the furthest I usually get is a copy of his entry on the roll and a copy of his enlistment/discharge papers. Whilst not 'insanely' expensive, it is time consuming.

I would assume the Sepoy survived, but in honesty, I'm not too sure how NOK medal entitlement went had the hapless Sepoy met his demise in an untimely manner. Did next-of-kin receive early HEIC issued medals, or just entitled participants? I'm sure Ed will deliver on this.

Comment

There are partial rolls Thatcherized in the BL in London, but rolls only. The longer manuscript rolls are in National Archives in Delhi and they are a true nightmare to use. They do, however, often have additional information, depending on the adjutant's hangover status the day he made them out. Some have religion, caste, home village, father's name, date of enlistment, etc. added, while others are just a scrap sheet of scrawled paper. From even the early medals (Java, Egypt, etc.) there was a tremendous effort at the regimental level to get medals to next-of-kin (a process complicated by the fact that most sepoys who served in these campaigns were not in their "home" units but were instead in a made-up volunteer unit).

There is some exciting hope that in some cases original personnel rolls survive. Not from this early, in all likelihood, but I think there is a good chance that, within a few years, we may have access to the files on individuals who, though still retired, still survived as of the regimental mergers of 1922. Hope to know more by this fall.

Ed Haynes

Comment

Ed Haynes must be the India Expert!!!!!!!!

I have become very interested in India and the British and Indian Armies during the 1800s.

If anyone wants to send me links to good info on the subject I would be happy to be able to learn more.

Comment

Punjab

Hi Tony and All,

I have a Punjab medal 1848-1849 one bar Coojerat awarded to Serjt J. Braine of the 24th foot.

I have tried all the websites and they seem to only deal with the South Wales Borderers and the war itself. I don't know if you or anybody out there has any information or knows of a website that would deal with individuals who were awarded this medal. I would like to find out more information on Serjt J. Braine.

Best regards,
                          David

Comment

Kevin Asplin is your man for this job. Just do a UK search and you'll find his website.

Comment

Just so happens !!

Last edited by Gary Jucha; 05-23-2006, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X