Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weighing in on Step-Side Imperial EK Prinzens

Hello all,

I've recently joined this forum, and today I was doing some research on Prinzen EKs in advance of purchasing one for my collection. In the process I came across a thread here which, in turn, pointed me to this thread on GMIC Forums:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopi...rt=#entry33463

The above thread, written by "Biro" or Marshall (who I do not know but whose photos, composites and work I am referencing here...I hope that's okay) is a persuasive demonstration that a certain well-known step-side variety of 27mm "Prinzen" or Half-Size EKs are of doubtful authenticity. I felt, upon reading this thread, that I wanted to add something to the conversation, as I myself have a step-side 1914EK2 in my collection that I have long considered to be authentic. Here's why.

This is the obverse side of mine:

Below, on the right, is the obverse of one of the suspect 1914 Prinzen examples (alongside a suspet 1870 example):

They look identical, as well they should. This is sort of long, but bear with me...

I was told, and subsequent experience has upheld this belief to the extent possible, that the Prinzens examined in the GMIC thread are indeed fakes, but are in fact copies of an original 1914 Prinzen of the same basic dimensions and characteristics. Like most copies, they did not get everything correct. The fakers also saw fit to make ones from 1870 and 1813, easily bringing their deception to light. But I believe there does exist a genuine 1914 step-side 27mm Prinzen EK2.

In the post below I refer to "fake" or "copy" crosses, and "genuine" or "authentic" crosses. This is merely a shorthand, for what follows is supposition and deduction based on my own observation and experience, and ought not be confused with established fact. That said, I believe it to be accurate.

The differences between the fakes and the genuines are to be found in three places:

1) Quality of workmanship.

The quality of workmanship on the the genuine 27mm is remarkable. On the fakes, it is less so. the space between the "step-up" in the core and the beading-edge of the frame is often irregular, and the core details are indistinct, especially on the reverse side. Quality of workmanship is difficult to demonstrate in photos (sometimes you have to hold examples to recognize differences), but Biro shows some rather poor quality workmanship in every cross in his thread, namely the unremoved flashing of the frame (well highlighted below in his photo composites):

If you can see, such flashing does not exist on the center beading of the authentic cross:

Another quality of workmanship issue is the beading. Fake examples always have sharply-cut beading arms with an identifiable cross-hatching effect (like all authentic Juncker RKs). Again, see Marshall's excellent composites of fakes:

And compare again to the photos above, where the beading is clearly not as deeply cut, and no cross-hatch pattern exists. Also note that no cross-hatch pattern (as illustrated in the top row of three photos above) exists on any outer arm of the genuine cross.

2) Crowns.

The crowns on the fakes are quite different on the obverse and the reverse.

The fakes (obverse):

And the fakes (reverse):

Notice that the crowns on the reverse are significantly fatter, with a large cross on top as compared to the obverse's small, quite elongated crowns.

The originals will have subtle differences between obverse and reverse, but are approximately the same, and are about the same size as well.

On a genuine cross, the obverse crown is the same as the fakes:

But the crown on the reverse above the FW cipher is quite different from the fakes, being more similar to the obverse's:

The crown on the genuine cross's reverse is distinguished by the distinctive high arch of the outer two arms.

3) Oak Leaf Cluster.

The last and (in my opinion) easiest way to differentiate fake from genuine is the form of the Oak Leaf Cluster on the reverse. A simple illustration will suffice to show the differences.

Fake:

Fake again:

Genuine:

And while Marshall's observation about suspicious round-shaped paint flaking effect (see his thread, linked above) is news to me, I should note that the cross in my possession does have wear to the paint, but not in that manner:

It is my view that this type of cross was made during or shortly after the war for private purchase. In some contemporary catalogues one can find crosses of this type and measurement being advertised for sale, but (in the ones I've seen) the item itself is either not pictured, or is represented by an artist's sketch (as on p. 197 of "The Iron Time" 1st Edition), so it's difficult to verify. But in some ads, the one mentioned above for example, the 1914EK2 is available as a full-size, in two reduced sizes ("Prinzen"), and then in tiny ("stickpin") size. Today, it's commonly accepted that there are genuine EK Prinzens (of both classes) of about 36mm size, and that there are genuine stickpin miniatures. But, as we've seen, period catalogues advertise a size in between. Where are the commonly accepted genuine examples of these? There must be some still extant.

Some raise the question of whether or not "step-side" production techniques (commonly associated with 1813 early-model EKs) would have been still in use in WWI. Well, if a 27mm Prinzen were to be made with the exact same materials in the exact same proportions as the 42mm award piece, the iron core would be so thin in the center as to be extraordinarily brittle. If the core thickness were increased to maximize rigidity, the 27mm Prinzen would be ungainly - too thick - and unattractive. And as it happened, the engineers from the Napoleonic period had developed a system designed to address brittle cores - the "step-side" core. While that system proved unnecessary on award pieces after advances in manufacturing technique in the 1830s, it could easily have been seen as a still-useful model for someone faced with the problem of a too-thin core on a significantly reduced-size piece 100 years later. So, using a thin core for sandwiching between the frame halves would allow the thickness of the frame (beading to beading) to be proportionally correct, while "stepping-up" the core size for the center portions would allow for the decoration to be strong enough for wear. After all, manufacturers of the time weren't concerned with whether or not their products would pass muster wth 21st C. collectors - just early 20th C. soldiers.

Also, I think it would make sense for a faker to base a fake on a known original, and I believe this to be the model for the fake. For some reason it seems the faker did a good job with the obverse core, but not the reverse, for that is where 2 of the 3 telltale signs are to be found.

One additional factor leads me to believe that these Prinzen fakes are based on a genuine original: while the "fake" type is often encountered (on eBay, for example), the "genuine" type is very rarely seen, at least in my experience.

There is a 27mm step-side 1870 Prinzen pictured on p.95 of "The Iron Time" (1st Edition). Without seeing the reverse side, I think it's impossible to say whether it's genuine. However, I have been told (by the gentleman who told all of this to me in the first place) that authentic 1870 27mm EK2 Prinzens do exist, and that in every particular they are the same as the authentic 1914 listed above; in fact they are WWI-era productions made by the same company for veterans, made at the same time in the same workshop as the 1914s. To my knowledge there are no authentic 1813 examples. As stated, all 3 Imperial issue years may be found as fakes.

This is in no way definitive, but it's what I've been told, and what I believe personally to be true about these controversial little fellas. I am most interested in evidence in support of, or in contradiction to, this hypothesis.

Thanks,
    Trevor

And let me say again "Thank You" to Biro/Marshall for the photos and composites. If the way I've used them makes you uncomfortable, please let me know and they will come down immediately.
    Last edited by streptile; 03-29-2009, 04:57 PM.
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

You've obviously done a lot of research on this.

I personally do not believe in a 1914 stepped core Ek. The stepped core
    was used in the early 1813 crosses as an aid to assembly. Even by the
    time of the late production 1813s we start to see a switch to flat cores.
    If as you say, the 1914 and 1870 stepped core Prinzen crosses were are
    made post 1914 why would they use the stepped core design and
    not the easier and more modern flat core?

IMO--there may have been a good stepped core 1870 that all of
    these copies were made from but so far I (we) have yet to see an
    original 1870 stepped core, small crown prinzen.

This is all just my opinion for what ever it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
      I personally do not believe in a 1914 stepped core Ek.
      IMO--there may have been a good stepped core 1870 that all of
      these copies were made from but so far I (we) have yet to see an
      original 1870 stepped core, small crown prinzen.
      Yes, I noticed after further reading through these boards that these step-sides are very frowned upon here. Well, I may indeed be incorrect. However, I do know someone who has what he claims to be an original, matching 1870 small-crown step-side 27mm Prinzen EK2. He is the fellow who introduced me to this entire theory presented here. I'll see if I can't get some photos posted of his piece. I'm also dead curious myself.
      In the meantime, is there anyone else on the board who has a 1914 small-crown and small-Oaks example like the one pictured below? I'd be interested to see photos...
      Thanks for the reply.
      Trevor
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Comment

Trevor

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I will stay out of this conversation, primarily because I have nothing more to add to what I have already posted both here and on GMIC over the years on imperial prinzens.

But can I take this opportunity to make two observations... for you and for anyone who participates in this thread from hereon in.

1) There is no doubt that the cross you show and the prinzens I studied, and beleive to be fake, are different. You have only to post the reverse of yours for anyone to see this is fact. That does not make yours irrefutably 'real', but it most definitely makes it different.. which is an ideal starting point for any debate.

2) May I congratulate you on your gentlemanly approach to what is always a touchy subject, on your presentation and most of all your comprehension of what I have theorised in the thread you link to. You have used your head, not your heart and have offered pictorial evidence or science to present your own conclusions on your piece. The forum needs level heads with an eye for detail and ability to present it pictorially in a way we can all see and understand.

As far as I'm concerned, you are a welcome addition. I hope for your sake you get the answer you are looking for.

Marshall

Comment

Thank you for the nice words, Marshall. As I've said elsewhere, I'm so happy to have found a place to learn more about these decorations, and to share my little collection with people who may be interested in it!

In respose to some questions, I've edited the initial post in this tread rather than include a reply here, so the argument remains cogent and in one place. The editing has mostly been in the final section, after the last photos. Greg, I've addressed your question about "step-side" production in the 20th C., and clarified the preceding paragraph about contemporary catalogue offerings.

Marshall: It is certainly true that, just because I own an example that is demonstratively different from suspected fakes does not necessarily make mine genuine. However, given the other evidence (rarity, catalogue evidence, etc.), I am inclined to stick to my belief in its originality until shaken from it by evidence to the contrary. I am certainly willing to be proved wrong, and I am very, very interested to have others weigh in on this debate. Frankly, this question has always intrigued me.

Thanks all,
          TR
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
            ..Marshall: It is certainly true that, just because I own an example that is demonstratively different from suspected fakes ....
            Strictly speaking, that's not entirely true Trevor..

Here you will see the Reverse of a notorious fake full size 1813 EK2. 1813 Full Size EK2 Fake These have been circulating a number of years, have been officially 'outed' as fakes by Detlev Niemann and can be readily found on ebay and various dodgey dealers such as 'Sneiders Treasures', etc... There are plenty of examples to be viewed here on the forum.

Now compare it to the Reverse of your 1914 Prinzen EK2. Prinzen versus full size fake

I cannot explain why the reverse of your 1914 Prinzen EK2 is an exact DESIGN match to the fake Full-size 1813 EK2... but I would be most concerned that the same hand was involved in the creation of both.

Perhaps you would copy and paste the pictures so potential contributors don't have to navigate away from the thread to view the comparison images I link to above.

I would be very interested to hear if your friend had any comment on this. It's not definitive.. but I wish the prognosis was better for you.

I'm afraid I wouldn't touch any Prinzen with one of these small crowns... but then you know that already..

Regards

Marshall

Comment

For Marshall---

"1813 Full Size EK2 Fake"
              Attached Files

Comment

"Prinzen versus full size fake"
                Attached Files

Comment

Well, that's that. While I suppose it's not definitive, it's pretty damning. I'm rapidly being disabused of my long-cherished illusions on this forum. I try to keep an open mind. I only wish I'd stumbled across this forum before; that 1914EK2 set me back $350 in 1999. Thanks for the postings; I'd not seen that 1813 EK2.
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Comment

Stepped Core

O.K. I'm going to dig up some old bones here, as I went back and read this thread again. I know that a lot of you have your different opinions on these so-called stepped cores (small crowns) being fakes, especially for the 1914 variety. Much to my chagrin, because I have several of these stepped cores, the argument that they are fake, is very, very convincing, at least to me. However, I noticed on Ken Greenfield's (DerRittmeister) site that he has posted a stepped core 1914 prinzen 1st class with the Meybauer marking and 800. It also has the small crown on the core. I can't see the tell tell extra metal on the inside of the frame, at least from the photos. So I ask, is this a genuine 1914 prinzen stepped core 1st class cross? Or is the Meybauer mark fake? Opinions please?
                    Last edited by ekhunter; 04-21-2010, 10:22 AM. Reason: adding

Comment

Dealers tend to like to believe in pieces, regardless of what the collective community thought is on them. I remember a slew of PLMs that past thru his site in recent times.
                      pseudo-expert

Comment

I saw that piece, too. To me it is nothing more than frightening evidence that someone has a very convincing fake Meybauer stamp.

I guess that shouldn't be news, since we've seen "Meybauer" stamped Imperial badges for some time now. Here's one thought to be a fake:

Last edited by streptile; 04-21-2010, 11:35 AM.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Comment

well ,,,I to convinced 100% off the prinsen stepped core ,,are fake ,,,
                          I have one myself ,,,
                          there are so many around ,,,it is very odd if it wood be some production off the 20's

the stepped core name is being named in conjunction with fake ,,,,,like stepped core is ( means) fake

I hope it is not ,,as I just resonantly did buy a godet ek 2 wide frame 1870 with stepped A core ,,,,,,to me as what I seen from the picture 100% original.

hopefully aim not mistaken ,,

Comment

Regarding the Meybauer marked stepped core i'm 110% convinced it's a fake. They have been found with so many different maker marks i lost count. Good old Rittmeister has a lot of other highly questionable crosses, really need to know your stuff if you want to buy from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Montgomery Burns View Post
                              well ,,,I to convinced 100% off the prinsen stepped core ,,are fake ,,,
                              I have one myself ,,,
                              there are so many around ,,,it is very odd if it wood be some production off the 20's

the stepped core name is being named in conjunction with fake ,,,,,like stepped core is ( means) fake

I hope it is not ,,as I just resonantly did buy a godet ek 2 wide frame 1870 with stepped A core ,,,,,,to me as what I seen from the picture 100% original.

hopefully aim not mistaken ,,
                              I believe, and someone please chime in here, but I beleive that it's only the stepped core prinzens that are all apparently fakes. After looking at my 1870and 1914 prinzens, the cores are identical. One thing I can say, is these stepped core prinzen fakes have been around for some time now. I know for sure at least 15-20 years, so it's not a new fake that has hit the market recently.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X