My Fibre Rim Camo Para Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Fibre Rim Camo Para Helmet

Yesterday Jack helped inspire me to use me new digital camera and take some more vibrant shots of my fibre rim for his rather super web site. The images I showed you all last time were rather shoddy, this time the images are far more vibrant and more importantly from every angle.

Hope you have broadband!

Steve.

Very Nice !

Very Nice helmet .. thanks for posting it

Gary J.

Comment

Very nice helmet you have there I was outbid on the one recently seen on ebay ,if the seller had put decent pictures like yours I would have possibly broken the £1000 mark .Rob.
      God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Steve, I never get bored of seeing that one It looks even more beautiful now in these new photos

Rob, I saw that too. It looked like a very nice one even with the poor quality photos. I think the reason for the price going so high on that one was the fact that it had a net on and (what looked like) a camouflage face veil tucked underneath it? It almost looked like one of those ones worn in Normandy by the 2nd Oxf.&Bucks. What did you think? It was interesting watching that one go for that price (£920) seeing as there have been a couple of fibre rims within the last couple of months go for around the £500-600 mark.

Comment

I subscribe to the Armourer magazine.......Ive seen the price of the German Camo examples........4k a throw Maybe the dealers are just trying it on?

That price kind makes the British examples a really good buy and investment dont you think?

Steve.

Comment

Exactly Steve!

I've never really understood the insanity of many German helmet collectors

Comment

I think prices for nice fibre rimmed para helmets is bound to increase simply because we cant afford the German ones . And of course there is a lot of history attached to these helmets .(anyone got one to sell for £500) ,here is one pic from the auction its not very good .Rob.
              Attached Files

Comment

And another (sorry about hijacking the thread) Rob.
                Attached Files

Comment

No worries mate. Always nice to compare. Indeed those pics arent the best. My helmet is missing the chin strap fixing screw and the string in the liner.....that example looks very complete.

As yet I have not found a photo of man wearing a camo pattern such as this or even one with unit flashes. One wonders if scrim would of been worn with my helmet?

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
                    No worries mate. Always nice to compare. Indeed those pics arent the best. My helmet is missing the chin strap fixing screw and the string in the liner.....that example looks very complete.

As yet I have not found a photo of man wearing a camo pattern such as this or even one with unit flashes. One wonders if scrim would of been worn with my helmet?

Steve.
                    Nice one Steve! That's a beauty for sure...

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
                      Wow, that is a great helmet! Thanks for showing.
                      Militaria Magazine shows a picture of recce troops taken in November 1942. All men have the recce decal on their helmet, but it is impossible to say for sure of it has camp pattern.
                      Cheers, Luc

Comment

I think any helmet with an original camouflage finish, net or decals is rare but I think what makes Steve's and the one that was on eBay extra special is that they are Airborne ones which are much rarer anyway, with or without camouflage, nets or decals. I think there are many more German helmets like this for two reasons. Firstly, I think they were much more into camouflage and concealment than the British (IMO) were and secondly, they're faked a hell of a lot more!

Steve, I think it would be difficult to determine whether or not your helmet ever had a net on as these are almost always the first thing to get separated or deteoriate on helmets, thus making ones with them still on more desirable. However, a camouflage finish and painted decals is certainly rare enough for most of us!

Luc, you are correct about that. I remember the picture now. (I'll post it below). I've also seen other Airborne units with painted decals and other signs etc. I don't know what other members think, but I think this was predominantly an early war thing? There's quite a famous photo of one of the first Paratroops with a set of Para wings painted onto the side of his fibre rim helmet. They probably did it for "esprit de corps". But by far the most famous Airborne unit for painting their company colours (if that's the correct terminology) is D Company of the 2nd Oxf.&Bucks. of Pegasus Bridge fame. (I have attached a photo of one onto this post - it has a net on too. Sadly no, it's not mine!). Ben (on the forum) also owns a fibre rim with something weird painted onto the side. I can't remember what it was but it was certainly unusual. Having said this, these Airborne helmets camouflaged, netted or with decals are far from common!!!

Just a few thoughts I suppose (sorry for hijacked thread!) Great helmet!

Cheers, from Jack.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Luc, I think this is the picture you mentioned? But I think there are others too. Looks like a similar kind of setup to Steve's one.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts
                            I'll post it below). I've also seen other Airborne units with painted decals and other signs etc. I don't know what other members think, but I think this was predominantly an early war thing?
                            Hi Jack, yes that is the one I was referring to!
                            I'm not sure it is an early war practise, it would be nice to find out more.
                            Cheers, Luc

Comment

Thanks for the photo Jack, I have never seen that before.

Any ideas where all the cuts on the top of my helmet may of come from? Is this just battle damage or prangs from jumps?

Sorry, I`m a total numpty when it comes to WW2 headgear, more of a WW1 man myself

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X