Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'41 dated French uniform (para-military?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'41 dated French uniform (para-military?)

Is this a French military uniform of the Vichy period?
    Its 1941 dated and tailored in Lyon (unoccupied Vichy-France)

or some kind of para-military piece?
    Youth movement? Labor movement?

It has strange cuff straps and non military leather "football buttons"
    (sometimes seen on UK officers mulitary garments)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 12-03-2011, 06:57 PM.

more
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 12-03-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

cuff, button and collar details...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NickG; 12-03-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

1941... Vichy Regime?
        Thoughts?
        Attached Files

Comment

Anybody? Maybe early Vichy Labour service officers tunic? (Chantiers de La Jeunesse) patterned after
          their French Army uniforms, before they switched to blue?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 12-04-2011, 02:44 AM.

Comment

or a youth movement like "Compagnons de France" which had army officers as troop leaders.
            (boy scouts - HJ ).
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello,
              clearly a 1938 military type cut, and these buttons may be for reserve officer, or
              perhaps private use for the civil life. Nice uniform piece, apart from the
              moth's damages.
              Cheers, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by coloprimus View Post
                Hello,
                clearly a 1938 military type cut, and these buttons may be for reserve officer, or
                perhaps private use for the civil life. Nice uniform piece, apart from the
                moth's damages.
                Cheers, Pierre
                Merci Pierre, I might buy it... even in this condition, because of the 1941 label date + Lyon (Vichy) France!
                But the cuff straps are not typical for French military...(unless its an overgarment of some sort, wind-breaker)...
                It should have had fake French cuffs and an area for rank insignia which now would be hard to display with the cuff straps...
                hence my theory its ww2 para-military in the non occupied part of France. The CJF had rank bars above the right chest pocket...
                Last edited by NickG; 12-04-2011, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Don't forget that until november 1942 there's still a french army in France. The Germans authorized a 100 000 men army (remember the Reichswehr) under the control of the Vichy's government and troops were still active in the colonies, so that's certainly an army uniform.

New uniforms were designed for this army.

Comment

Originally posted by Garulfo View Post
                    Don't forget that until november 1942 there's still a french army in France. The Germans authorized a 100 000 men army (remember the Reichswehr) under the control of the Vichy's government and troops were still active in the colonies, so that's certainly an army uniform.

New uniforms were designed for this army.
                    Yeah that is true, the Vichy army. It did have a new uniforms designated Model 1942 for enlisted troops
                    The Milice had similar cut new style M42 uniforms but I am not sure what changes the officers uniforms went through...
                    its more like a prewar cut, even though its dated 1941, but those strange sleeve cuff straps I can not explain...

Anyway I did not get it... I posted the opening bid at $24.99 (it was really tattered) and it sold for a buck more...

It was described as a Boy Scout uniform so it went for cheap...
                    and it had post war Catholic boyscout unit insignia on the sleeve, which I removed from the images.
                    Post war recycled for a scout troop leader...

Comment

Hi,
                      the vichy years cut (1939-1945) is slightly different. This one came first,
                      in my opinion. It's a good example, but you shoud'nt spend a fortune on it...
                      Cheers, Pierre

Comment

Is was listed on ebay in the boyscouts section.... Its 1941 dated and the Germans banned scouting activities but in Vichy it was allowed
                        but the scouting movement was politicized under the Vichy regime (along the lines of German youth movements)

but in my veiw this tunic was recycled and post war re-used for a scout troop leader (Catholic scounting organization).
                        This is the insignia that is on it (hand-stitched) and the reason why it was not listed in the military section:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                        X