Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank & Reif Stuttgart U-boat badge

Hello,

wath do you think about this U-boat badge from Frank&Reif???
    Do you think this is an original or a post war reproduction?

Here are some photos of the badge:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e.../text/UKA1.jpg
    http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/e...rrent=UAK2.jpg

And an article about U-boat badges from the german magazine "MILITARIA MAGAZIN"...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e.../text/IMM1.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e.../text/IMM2.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e.../text/IMM3.jpg

Thanks for your Help

Cu0re_Ner0
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 04-26-2018, 07:44 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images

It is 100% fake. Frank and Reif NEVER made Uboat badges. That magazine is out to lunch.

Al

Comment

Fake.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Martin, did you look at the magazine article in the above post? This is why people get so damned confused over these fakes, as authors don't do their homework on something so basic.

Al
        Last edited by Al P; 09-14-2007, 12:59 PM. Reason: re-wrote my gibberish

Comment

Al,

i totally agree.Unbelievable!One would think that the writers,editors,etc would have done their homework.
          I have a French magazine from 1993 where there is an article on U-Boat badges and a Frank & Reif badge was illustrated along with other examples.
          A couple of issues later the magazine realized the mistake and informed the readers that the Frank & Reif badge was a fake.
          Hopefully,this magazine will also realize the mistake and inform the readers.

Regards,Martin.
          Last edited by Martin Westley; 09-14-2007, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Westley View Post
            Al,

i totally agree.Unbelievable!One would think that the writers,editors,etc would have done their homework.
            I have a French magazine from 1993 where there is an article on U-Boat badges and a Frank & Reif badge was illustrated along with other examples.
            A couple of issues later the magazine realized the mistake and informed the readers that the Frank & Reif badge was a fake.
            Hopefully,this magazine will also realize the mistake and inform the readers.

Regards,Martin.
            I can only agree with Martin. I have all 3 articles and was disappointed to see the badge re-appear in the IMM article. No author, article or book are perfect though - mistakes happen.

These F&R fakes were well made and meant to deceive. They still do. When you examine them though, you realise that things are simply not right with the finish, the hardware, or the application of the hardware. The burn/scorch marks around the hinge and catch indicate a hot solder process - not something usually underatken on genuine TR badges.

Regards
            Mike
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Frank & Reif

Hello,
              As everyone has said that badge is an old fake. Here is the article (again) from the French magazine Militaria from the early 90's in which they mention the badge is a fake.

Regards,
              Jody
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

thanks to everybody for your wise point of view...

The thing that desieved me was that this badge is part of a nice U-boat groupping from a sailor who sunk in 1944 with U445... Lot of photos and awards documents

Well... if one part of the groupping is a fake than I'll keep my fingers away from it...

Thanks again...

Cu0re_Ner0

Comment

The badge is a postwar production , not a fake . The Schwerin (design Hymmen) badges are post war production and fake
                  All the best
                  giorgio

Comment

Originally posted by genoa41 View Post
                    The badge is a postwar production , not a fake . The Schwerin (design Hymmen) badges are post war production and fake
                    All the best
                    giorgio
                    Giorgio,

Fake or post war production for frank and reif are the same thing as far as collectors are concerned. Meaning, you could buy a post war reproduction uniform sold as such, but on the market being sold as authentic to trick the unwary buyer. There is no difference between fake and post war reproduction in the context of this hobby.

I assume you are talking about the fake Schwerin stamped u-boat badge with something like a Hymmen obverse made in Arizona, but you statement is confusing to those new on this forum.
                    Last edited by John R.; 09-15-2007, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Frank and Reif

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                      Giorgio,

Fake or post war production for frank and reif are the same thing as far as collectors are concerned. Meaning, you could buy a post war reproduction uniform sold as such, but on the market being sold as authentic to trick the unwary buyer. There is no difference between fake and post war reproduction in the context of this hobby.

I assume you are talking about the fake Schwerin stamped u-boat badge with something like a Hymmen obverse made in Arizona, but you statement is confusing to those new on this forum.
                      Hi John,
                      I agree 100% with your comments. It doesn't matter what you want to call the Frank & Reif U-boat badge-fake, post-war production, fantasy piece, Museum type copy, etc. It is still a piece of junk, that wasn't produced prior to May of 1945. Trying to re-title it, doesn't change what it is.

Regards,
                      Jody

Comment

What exactly is a "post war production"?
                        Iam Uncle Sam
                        That’s who Iam
                        Been hiding out
                        In a rock and roll band

Comment

Originally posted by cu0re_ner0 View Post
                          Hello,

thanks to everybody for your wise point of view...

The thing that desieved me was that this badge is part of a nice U-boat groupping from a sailor who sunk in 1944 with U445... Lot of photos and awards documents

Well... if one part of the groupping is a fake than I'll keep my fingers away from it...

Thanks again...

Cu0re_Ner0

Good decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Jody Beltram View Post
                            Hi John,
                            I agree 100% with your comments. It doesn't matter what you want to call the Frank & Reif U-boat badge-fake, post-war production, fantasy piece, Museum type copy, etc. It is still a piece of junk, that wasn't produced prior to May of 1945. Trying to re-title it, doesn't change what it is.

Regards,
                            Jody
                            Bingo!!!.Thanks Jody.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Frank & Reif

Hello,
                              From now on I am going to refer to the Frank & Reif U-boat badge as "a well made late 20th Century post-war produced reproduction badge based on an early style of U-boat badge from the early 1940's."

Regards,
                              Jody

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X