Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK 2 1813 - reloaded 2.0

Hello again to the experts!
    Grabbing the opportunity I saved this cross as well for my collection.
    After reading and sniffing through the according threads I take this one as the "bent stem"-type, being a later production for private purchase between 1837 and 1866 (is this correct?).
    My question is: Why has it a stepped core then?
    I always thought that only the first series of cores has a stepped rim, this being one of the characteristics for early pieces. The "inheritance"-series and later 1837ties examples had flat cores instead.
    (Has the "Blücher"-style question and the timeframe derived from it been answered conclusively by now?)

This cross is a beauty: Very heavy (maybe due to the contemporarily repaired suspension) with 18.2 gr and with an breathtaking height of the numbers, leaves and crown.
    As always: All opinions are welcome!
    Regards
    Hagrid
    Attached Files

I don't know about time frames but check out posts 14-15 in this thread--

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=grail

Looks like a match to the one that you posted.

Comment

Beautiful 1813 EK2 with a bent stem core My first 1813 was the exactly same core and frame variation as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
        I don't know about time frames but check out posts 14-15 in this thread--

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=grail

Looks like a match to the one that you posted.
        Thank you for the link - of course I ˋve checked this special thread (beneath others) ...
        The thread suggests that the „bent stem“ - design is accepted as an proper style of an 1813 iron cross, for there are several specimens of it depicted as a membership ticket for the „Holy grail Club“...but unfortunately it says nothing about the time these were produced in, nor whether they are accepted as originals despite the probably very late production time ( up to 1866?).

On the other hand: If they are accepted by the members as real stuff, mine would be real as well
        Regards
        Hagrid

Comment

Originally posted by Hagrid View Post
          The thread suggests that the „bent stem“ - design is accepted as an proper style of an 1813 iron cross, for there are several specimens of it depicted as a membership ticket for the „Holy grail Club“...but unfortunately it says nothing about the time these were produced in, nor whether they are accepted as originals despite the probably very late production time ( up to 1866?).

On the other hand: If they are accepted by the members as real stuff, mine would be real as well
          Regards
          Hagrid
          This style cross IS accepted as an original even though it was probably made at
          at later date. There are some old threads that suggest when these might
          have been produced but the truth is--I don't think anyone knows for sure the
          EXACT time line. After all, it was 200 years ago.

This cross will grant you membership into the "Holy Grail" club.

Here is an old thread that tries to establish a time line for the production of 1813 Eks.---
          ---- http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=batch
          Last edited by gregM; 03-25-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Very nice

Originally posted by gregM View Post
            I don't think anyone knows for sure the EXACT time line.
            I agree.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by Hagrid View Post
              My question is: Why has it a stepped core then?
              I always thought that only the first series of cores has a stepped rim, this being one of the characteristics for early pieces. The "inheritance"-series and later 1837ties examples had flat cores instead.
              We have a saying that "an exception confirms the rule".

But seriously, we should have in mind that rules in iron cross production are not rules written in some Constitution or Law, and their "breaking" is not puniished by prison.

Stepped core was made as forced step (low quality of Prussian iron, due to French blockade of export of British iron through Channel, which didn´t allow to make fine thin sheet cores without immediate cracking), but at some moment became a fashion.

After the Napoleonic Wars, the blockade was over, so the foundries switched to flat cores, but some of them (fully or partially) kept producing stepped cores all time long. The proof is that there are even some stepped core 1870ers, although they are very rare.

From this point, stepped core is not good (or good enough) feature to tell early awarded piece from inheritance one. Better signal is IMO multipiece frame.

In any case I would not date Bent stem type so late. IMO they came before Prinzens, which are considered the last of "official" 1813 series.

Comment

Fantastic looking cross. Nothing to upgrade here.

Comment

Thank you for your opinions - very much appreciated!
                  Regards
                  Hagrid

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X