New Soviet Shashka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Soviet Shashka

This was one of those impulse buys that I could not hold myself back from making. I was just blown away with this piece:
    Attached Files

Another angle:
    Attached Files

Comment

The hilt artwork:
      Attached Files

Comment

More hilt artwork (it says "C.C.C.P" on the hilt):

Comment

The shashka together with the bayonet:
          Attached Files

Comment

Some marks on the blade:
            Attached Files

Comment

Some more marks on the blade:

Comment

Congradulations on such a nice sword!

I made the mistake of passing one of those over, several years ago and still regret it. Good to see others not making the same mistake

Comment

The marks tell a story too!

It was manufactured in the famous ZIK factory in 1940.

Comment

What was the "ZIK" factory?

Yuri

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri Desyatnik
                      What was the "ZIK" factory?

Yuri
                      http://www.zik.ru/

Rusty.

Comment

Is it correct that these "with bayonet" were only worn by Cossack cavalry units? I seem to remember eons ago hearing that the lugs for the Moisin-Nagant rifle bayonets were almost all ground off as the swords were used, and re-used, and passed on and on in active use.

I've never encountered one of this type still intact, let alone with the bayonet!

Comment

Thanks Rick! Again, I was really blown away by this shashka, and had to have it. It really has that "Stalinistic" feel to it. Really well put together, and the blade was made to be used in battle. This is no parade sword.

Comment

Using swords in combat...

Junior Sergeant Mikhail Petrovich Smadik was a ‘classic’ Soviet soldier. He was nineteen years old, and had been in the Soviet army for just one year. Being a Cossack, a traditional horseman-warrior, he was a natural choice for selection into the 22<SUP>nd</SUP> Guards Cavalry Regiment, 5<SUP>th</SUP> Guards Cavalry Division. The end of the War was near, and to date, he had killed over fifty-six German soldiers and officers single-handedly.
                            On May 1<SUP>st</SUP> 1945, he earned this Order of Glory Third Class for the following:

"…while attacking the front line of the enemy’s defense, in the ranks of a mounted platoon, Comrade Smadik demonstrated courage and bravery. During an attack in the area of the village Tsulen, he chased after the retreating enemy and with his sword killed four soldiers, and took two German officers prisoner…"

Comment

Wow Scary weapon.

Nice addition! Congrats, Yur!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X