Aircew Europe Star Good & Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aircew Europe Star Good & Bad

Good on left, note how the bottom point of the V in VI is over on the lhe right in the good one. The fake V is to the left centre. (Hope its a fake on E/Bay). Good one has sharp pints. Please note differences in crown.
    These differences could be from a different manufacturer. Going to the Medal show in Edmonton end of month 22nd. May see one there.

Did I make my pictures too big???
    Last edited by Ed Tainton; 08-05-2003, 05:15 AM.

Ed, Your photo looks more like an illustration of the medal rather than an actual picture of one.

Comment

Ace

These are all copies from different companies. Yes you are right, it is an illustration. The illustration makes the point. Dan (member) has his uncles original ACE and the point of the V is to the right of the W.
      This may a Canadian made star. Those who have an authentic ACE please give input. I just about purchased an ACE on E/Bay engraved with name on back, but it just did not look right. I have seen them listed at $1,500.00. ACE comes close to being the most copied medal and you must be wary.
      Last edited by Ed Tainton; 08-05-2003, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Aircrew Europe Star

This has had an airing before, but I thought I'd post it again. An original item from a group attributed to a Flight Sergeant Air Gunner on Halifaxes & (later) Lancasters.

As you can see, it bears the traits of a dudley. It fails the 'Rule of W' test. However, I've had this since the early '70s (when I first started), and I know for a fact that 'they' were not faking them to this standard at that point in time. 'They' were still messing about with inserts, cast & poor copies with gapped cyphers and loose-knotted 'R's, or totally rehashed stars. The 'Rule of W' didn't exist. Now it does, and so it's a fake.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Tony Farrell; 01-10-2005, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Ace

Thank you Tony. It's just frustration that drives me. I know we have old threads on the ACE. Your medal is different from Dans. I'll close the subject with "" An ACE in the hand, is worth 1000 fakes in pictures".

Comment

Ed, Tony,

This is a genuine ACE Star, original owner known and from the family, he was killed in 1943 and the group was still in the delivery box and in the waxy paper packets.

If variations exist, which I'm sure they do with the thousands made and different makers, this is the only one style that I can find reference too. The medal yearbook 2002 and Ailsbys, Allied Combat Medals for two have illustrations like mine.

I'm not discounting other styles of ACE, I simply don't know enough about them as I state above variations exist I'm sure, but this is an example of a genuine medal also.

(GREAT BAR Tony!!!)

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

I don't seem to be able to post pictures properly anymore ?

Comment

Try again

Comment

Comment

And I'm going to fly multi million pounds worth of aircraft I can't even master this, it's thanks to my Jo who's a little more patient than me..............here we go, an ACE at last.

Comment

Ace

Finally after 8 tries I think I have my ACE. Its idendical to yours Marcus. We have a medal show here on Saturday. That will be the final test. Centre is very flat , colour is good. Price was not good

Comment

Ed

Congratulations!! I know you've been after one of these for donkies ages.

I'm really pleased for you..........well bloody done!

There are only one or two medals I can safely vouch for, fortunately my ACE is one, yours looks like the spitting image of mine

Monty sends you a lick,

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

how Much is a ACE worth now adays? surly not in the 1000s

Comment

About $150-$225 for an individual one. Ones with bars or in groups can command more. Ones with provenance command a LOT more-depending upon the recipient.
                            Cheers,
                            JeMc

Comment

Ed's A.C.E. Star

Hi Ed. Sorry again that I missed you at the show on Saturday, but congrats on the ACE Star that you picked up. Except for the tarnish on mine, yours looks exactly like the one I got from my uncle that came to me along with his DFC set, which was Canadian issued (from the RCAF dated and gazetted in 1945). The 'V' in 'VI' is positioned over the leftmost point of the 'W' (in CREW), and all the points are sharp. I also see a minor flaw in the ring at the top of the medal, which may just be a flaw in the scan, but the ring should be a solid piece and integrated with the top point of the Star (just like all the other Commonwealth Stars).

In any case, it's a nice treasure to add to your collection.

p.s. I never did find the guy who said he had 'several' Dieppe clasps, although I asked a bunch of people who/where he was. I never got his name either. Pity (or maybe lucky, who's to know?!?!?)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X