Fake SS Erel's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake SS Erel's

I'll preface this thread with I do believe Erel provided visors to the WSS.I have had and handled several IMO original examples.
    The following 3 pieces are part of a "cottage industry" started in the 80's reworking original Heer visors w/ new cap frames & black velvet bands and new vent grommets.

This first piece I purchased in the early 90's.It came from a fellow collector in the Midwest (US).As part of my research for this thread I found him and quized him about the origins of the piece.He named 2 sources both still active.When I told him about the issues w/the piece he offered to buy it back.He was used a proxy to move the piece.He's not a member of the forum so he may or may not chose to comment.
    Well,the others like snakes have shed their skins and "reinvented" themselves with the advent of the internet.

I'll break this piece down later in the thread. Enjoy
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    Cheers Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Pardon; 08-25-2007, 02:56 AM.

Ex (Late) Wally Hombach

1st viewed at the Max 2006,photographed at Ponoma 2007
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    Cheers Steve
    Attached Files

Comment

this piece was discussed several months ago.
      __________________________________________________ _________________
      Cheers Steve
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes those are the famous “black grommet” Erel’s. Some use all original linings, some use original top pieces and new side lining and all use original sweatbands. The tell tail sign on these is the untreated pasteboard and black painted grommets. Most show signs of re-lining so they are fairly easy to detect. Also check for glued in sweatbands. This seems to be the favorite of Erel fakers since it hides the exterior stitching at the base we see on a lot of Frankenstein’s. One thing is for sure, they all came from the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
          Yes those are the famous “black grommet” Erel’s. Some use all original linings, some use original top pieces and new side lining and all use original sweatbands. The tell tail sign on these is the untreated pasteboard and black painted grommets. Most show signs of re-lining so they are fairly easy to detect. Also check for glued in sweatbands. This seems to be the favorite of Erel fakers since it hides the exterior stitching at the base we see on a lot of Frankenstein’s. One thing is for sure, they all came from the same person.
          Hi NTZ,
          just to learn a little bit more.....may I consider as well this a fake 'cause the "black grommet"........
          Thank you.....
          Regards
          Giorgio
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting these, Steve. This guy (we call him "Mr. P.S.") has several "tells", among them the glued-in Erel sb. It even looks like in your post #1 that the visor holes have no thread in them. This guy is good, and I am sure he even reads this forum--but try as you might Mr P.S., you'll always be a journeyman and never a master....
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by giorgio View Post
              Hi NTZ,
              just to learn a little bit more.....may I consider as well this a fake 'cause the "black grommet"........
              Thank you.....
              Regards
              Giorgio
              That is a different type of grommet to the one Nick is referring to. The black grommet Nick is talking about is the one with the gloss black metal painted ring. This one of yours has brass coloured material in it.

Comment

Giorgio I am referring to the all black grommet but can you post more pics of the one you shown? I do see some odd things. In fact more that a few. I would like to see the whole thing.

Comment

two more pics of the backing plate of the grommet.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Frankenstein dis-assembled
                      Attached Files

Comment

A Heer eagle originally
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

vent grommet & cap frame detail
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Steve Pardon; 09-03-2007, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X